We’re working with Haley Fox and Lauren Fox of New York City’s Alice’s Tea Cup to bring you tea party fixings straight out of wonderland.
We created this little warm explosion of oozy chocolate goodness because we’re chocolate fanatics and insisted on having a rich, chocolate-y dessert on our menu to complement some of our fuller-bodied black teas and dessert blends. Mission accomplished! A few tea suggestions: Phoenix Dessert Blend (black tea flavored with honey, caramel, and strawberries), or a straight, rich Assam, such as Sessa.
1 stick (1/2 cup) salted butter
4 ounces bittersweet chocolate pistoles or morsels
2 whole eggs
2 egg yolks
¼ cup sugar
1 tablespoon all-purpose flour, plus more for dusting
Optional garnishes/serving ideas: confectioner’s sugar, crème anglaise (page 46), whipped cream and berries, vanilla (or your favorite) ice cream
1. Preheat the oven to 350 degrees. Spray four individual 4-ounce aluminum baking cups (not cupcakes liners) with cooking spray or coat them with butter. Then dust them with flour. (This will help the cakes slide right out.)
2. In a medium glass bowl, melt the butter and chocolate in a microwave oven or in a water bath or double boiler. Mix thoroughly until you have a shiny chocolate sauce.
3. In a large bowl, use a mixer to beat the eggs, egg yolks, and sugar until thick. Add the chocolate/butter mixture and beat until thick. With the mixer running, add the 1 tablespoon flour.
4. Divide the mixture evenly among the prepared baking cups, and bake for 11 minutes. Watch the time carefully!
5. Turn each container upside down onto the center of a serving plate, and slowly lift and slightly shake the aluminum cup so that the cake slides out upside down. Serve with the garnish of your choice.
You can prepare these ahead of time to bake later. Cover the filled baking cups and refrigerate for up to 3 days. Then bake the chilled cups for 13 minutes.
Makes 4 servings
The ladies of Alice's Tea Cup have just come out with a brand new book filled with the eatery's famous recipes. Snag the book here.
BY HALEY FOX AND LAUREN FOX ON 1/26/2011 7:00:00 AM