This summer, skip the boring pony for a chic updo that’ll keep your hair off your neck and outta your eyes. The best part? All you’ll need for these simple styles are a few elastics, some pins and some smoothing shine serum to get a totally frizz-free mane. Sweet and simple!
Low braid wrap-around
Whether you’re rockin’ the lifeguard chair or watchin’ the kiddies next door, this no-maintenance style is your best bet. Plus, it’s super pretty!
• Smooth in a shine serum throughout hair to dial down frizz.
• Gather all your tresses in a low pony at the back of your head, and secure with an elastic.
• Take a ½-inch section from the base of the ponytail and wrap it around the hair elastic so it’s hidden. Then, tuck the loose piece back into the elastic underneath the ponytail.
• Braid your ponytail, and secure the end with another elastic. Wrap it around the elastic
Wild Harvest Brazilian Smooth Straight & Shiny Serum, $7, ulta.com
Sky-high ballerina bun
Got a fab summer bash to attend? The ballerina bun is perfect for birthday parties, family dinners or a night at the movies. So glam!
• Work a shine serum into hair.
• Create a high ponytail at the crown of your head (or a bit above) and secure with an elastic.
• With a fine-tooth comb, gently tease the pony to give it more volume.
• Coil the pony and wrap it around the base, making it into a bun. Secure with an elastic and pin in place, if necessary.
Perfect when your hair has a bit of texture from the sea salt waves and air, this looks way more intricate than it actually is. You’ll need long hair to pull this off. Curly girls, beware of tangles!
• Find your natural part (side, middle, etc.) and divide hair into two sections.
• Gather each section and tie hair into an actual knot, as if you were tying your shoelaces. Pull it tight.
• Tie the ends of the knot into a second knot, as if you were tying a double knot. Pull it tight, then secure all around with pins.
Low knot (with a twist!)
A twist on the low knot, the bun version is totally gorge for a nighttime stroll on the boardwalk or ride around the ferris wheel with your crush. Tuck a bloom behind one ear. Swoon!
• Secure a ponytail in the middle of your head, and separate it into two sections.
• Twist one section of hair around the base of your pony, then twist the other section around that the other way. Secure your twisted bun with another elastic.
• Make sure to tuck the ends of your hair under the knot and secure with pins.
BY KARA GELBER ON 5/20/2011 10:00:00 AM
POSTED IN beauty, hair, how to, summer