Furoshiki, the ancient Japanese art of
wrapping, can make your gifts a li’l greener. Learn the Yotsu
Musubi folding pattern below, then teach your fam!
How-to: Make your own Furoshiki square
fabric based on the directions in the Dec/Jan ’12 issue. Or, use a
vintage silk scarf or large handkerchief.
To fold the 4-Tie Wrap (Yostu Musubi):
1. Lay fabric square on a flat surface.
Place gift diagonally on the fabric.
2. Bring up opposite corners and tie them
once in the middle.
3. Ends of the tie should point towards
4. Bring up the remaining two corners and
tie on top of first tie, with the ends of the tie facing in the
5. Arrange so each flap adequately covers
one side of the box, and the bow on top has four ends peeking out.
6. Pull ties tight and voilà!