November 11th is Veterans' Day! The federal holiday marks the
perf time to show our appreciation to all retired and active veterans. Put on your
reds whites and blues, and let a vet know how much you appreciate all the joys
of freedom. Here are just a couple ways
to say thanks for the hard work, time and sacrifices.
1. Write thank you letters to send overseas or to a
2. Record a video and post it online so that
veterans across the nation can watch.
3. Are you a knitting queen? Grab some yarn and
make scarves to handout at a nursing home for vets.
4. Fly a flag in your front yard or in your window
for the whole neighborhood to see.
5. Listen respectfully. You never want to pressure
a veteran to talk, but if a vet wants to share, show respect by listening to
his or her story.
6. Attend a Veteran's Day ceremony or parade. Check
your community’s website for info.
7. Send gifts to hospitalized veterans. Baked goods
and homemade cards are sure to brighten their day.
8. Have a neighbor who’s a veteran? Ask the ‘rents
if you can invite your neighbor to dinner.
9. Make T-shirts expressing your gratitude and
sport them around town. That way, even those who you don’t realize are veterans
still get the message.
to babysit free of charge for a veteran or a veteran’s spouse.
it! The next time you see a uniformed soldier, a simple “thanks for serving” is
sure to make them feel appreciated. They deserve it.
BY LAUREN IZQUIERDO ON 11/11/2013 12:00:00 AM
POSTED IN holiday, do gooder