The seriously painful side of eyebrow waxing
Danger in the salon! The Boston Channel recently reported a new threat that could affect girls who get their brows waxed. There have been multiple cases of ocular (eye) herpes given to unknowing girls who had their eyebrows waxed by careless beauty technicians.
A good cosmetologist will take an applicator with hot wax on it, apply it to their client's skin and then throw it away. However, some salons “double dip” the applicators, which can make the wax a place for diseases to hang out.
Although the wax is hot, the temperature isn't high enough to kill all of the dangerous bacteria that are floating around in the container and it's a prime breeding ground for herpes. When a new client comes to get their eyebrows waxed, the disease gets immediately gets transferred to them. Gross!
Most recently, there have been multiple complaints of ocular (eye) herpes spread by careless beauty technicians. Beautiful brows are one thing—a serious disease is another. Although some of the symptoms are relatively painless like redness, blurry vision and mucous, it can eventually cause blindness. Whoa.
If you swear by waxing, make sure the technician uses safe techniques, like scrubbing up, wearing gloves and never double-dipping. Or, try plucking or threading to get rid of strays.