Don’t feel like investing in more than one styling tool? Don’t! Make your flat iron work double duty as a curling iron. Technique is important, so read up below!
1. Make sure your hair is totally dry. If it’s wet, you’ll damage it and it won’t curl. Lose-lose.
2. Make sure your flat iron is at most two inches wide. Any larger, and your curls will look strange and oblong. A 1”-2” straightener works best.
3. Warm up your straightener and spray your hair with a heat protectant so your strands don’t get fried.
4. Part hair into sections. The thicker your hair is, the more sections you should make. Start with the sections at the nape of your neck and work your way up and forward to your forehead.
TIP: Small sections make tight curls, big sections make loose curls, so choose accordingly. Try mixing it up and doing some big, some small, which looks more natural.
5. Lightly clamp a section at the base of a strand (closest to your scalp, but not so close that you’ll burn yourself) and drag the straightener for about two inches and rotate the tool towards your head. Hold for a few seconds, and then pull down for another two inches or so, repeating the curling motion. Keep doing this until most of your hair has been curled around the flat iron. Open the iron, release the curl, and spray with hairspray for the best results. Repeat with other bottom sections.
6. When you’re finished with the bottom sections, clip them to the side and take down the middle section, then repeat the curling routine you did in step 5. After you finish these sections, clip them to the side and work on the top.
7. When your curls are done, gently run your fingers through your hair to loosen them up and give them a more natural look. Add another mist of hairspray to keep hair from going flat.
Don’t worry if it doesn’t come out exactly how you want it
to the first time. Practice makes perfect!
Love this post? You'll heart these too...
+ Get The Look! Score style secrets with our weekly fash newsletter
+ Swimsuits that flatter your figure
+ Melt-proof your makeup
WIN BIG! Stock your wardrobe with $1000 worth of 15-Fifteen jeans.
Oh snap! Get the latest from GL on Instagram.
BY HANNAH MESHULAM ON 7/13/2013 12:00:00 AM
POSTED IN beauty, hair, curly Qs, how to