The big dance is coming up fast—but don’t worry, no need to book your hair appointment! We’ve got your tresses covered with three pretty (easy) updos you can do all by yourself. Promise!
side swept braid
pretty with a sequined dress and a pink pout.
1. Towel dry hair and use a moisturizing styling oil to boost shine and reduce frizzies.
Organix Renewing Moroccan Argan Oil, $7, drugstore.com
2. Let your hair dry almost all of the way, and when you can feel only a tiny bit of moisture left, flip your head over and blow dry your hair upside down for extra volume.
3. Put the hair all to one side and start braiding. Be sure to have a hair tie handy. Try using a sparkly elastic band to dress up the look for your big night out.
Regal Hair Elastics Set, $5, forever21.com
4. Finish the look with a shine hairspray to keep the look in place to last all night!
Swift’s sleek side pony
this with anything strapless.
Get the look:
1. Wash and dry your hair, then add a smoothing serum to strands.
Fekkai Glossing Cream, $9, cvs.com
2. Give your hair a serious brushing—to be sure there are no tangles before we get started!
3. Section the top half of your hair on top of your head out of the way.
4. Begin straightening the bottom half from root to tip and be sure to get every strand. You’ll want to slowly pull the iron in a straight line down the hair shaft for this look.
5. Unclip the top section of your hair and repeat step 4.
5. Brush all of your hair to whichever side you prefer and use a tiny clear elastic hairband to create a low ponytail right under your ear.
6. Lightly spritz on your fave hairspray and add drama with a soft flower clip.
Cara Soft Flower Hair Clip, $22, nordstrom.com
Thorne’s braided headband
with super long tresses will love this style, especially when paired with a
Get the look:
1. style hair with a 1 ½” curling iron…
2. Curl your hair all over beginning half way down the strand of hair, and allow the curls to cool off. Use your fingers to lightly brush them out.
3. To create the headband, grab a super long section of your hair from behind your ear (the thickness of the braid depends on how much hair you grab) and braid it all the way to the very end.
4. Tie off the braid with a tiny clear elastic band.
5. Pull the braid up behind your ear and over your head so it looks just like a headband.
6. Using two bobby pins, clip the braid behind your ear and shake your head to be sure it won’t budge.
7. Repeat steps 2-5 on the opposite side (if you would like two braids).
8. Finish with a small amount of hairspray all over.
Living Proof Flex Shaping Hairspray, $24, sephora.com
Got short hair but still want the look? Try a braided headband!
Mia Thick Braidies 1/2” Braided Headband, $9, ulta.com
Love this post? You’ll heart these too…
+ Your ultimate formal shopping guide
+ Cute boots that won’t drain your wallet
+ The not-so-pretty reason you’re breaking out
WIN IT! Glitz up the hallways with $500 worth of sparkly accessories.
INSTA-LOVE! Everything you heart about GL is now on Instagram!
BY SAMANTHA WILSON ON 9/22/2013 12:00:00 AM
POSTED IN Taylor Swift, Celebs, Selena Gomez, star style, Bella Thorne, beauty, hair, how to, tips, party, hair accessory, best products, formal beauty looks, weekend fun, dance