Get super sleek strands like Zendaya
We loved Zendaya’s straight ‘n’ sleek locks as she strutted her stuff at the Shake It Up dance off earlier this month. Wanna try your hand at straightening your own kinks and curls? We recommend using a flat iron over a relaxer—the chemicals in relaxers can contribute to hair loss and serious damage (and even cause chemical scalp burns—eep!). Check out our no-stress straightening tips below.
1. Prepare the hair for straightening. Shampoo the hair to get rid of previous buildup, wait until the hair dries, and begin gently brushing through the hair with a wide-toothed comb. If you’re having trouble with tangles, try ScalpMaster’s Argan Oil Infused Detangling Comb to gently detangle knots in the hair.
ScalpMaster Argan Oil Infused Detangling Comb, $4, amazon.com
2. Use a heat protectant. We recommend Urban Therapy’s Twisted Sista Relaxing Straightening Crème because it prepares the hair for straightening and leaves hair looking healthy and lustrous afterwards. Squeeze a small amount onto your palms and run through your strands with your fingers from roots to tips.
Urban Therapy Twisted Sista Relaxing Straightening Crème, $8, amazon.com
3. Clip the hair into sections with large hair clips. This helps you keep track of what you straightened and didn’t straighten!
12 Colored Alligator Girls’ Clips, $7, amazon.com
4. Start straightening. Use a consistent stroke from the scalp to the bottom to prevent lines in hair. After one stroke, immediately run a narrow comb through your hair. Make sure to repeat the movements a few times. Note: Don’t iron the hair too much because it will sap the moisture right out of your strands!
5. Finish with your favorite hairspray. Use a light mist all over to finish. Done!
Focus 21 Splash Finishing Spray Pump, $6, ulta.com