MAKE IT CUTE
Four patriotic treats you need this Fourth
July 4th is coming up, and it’s the perfect holiday to get creative in the kitchen. Try any or all of these recipes to add to your family’s Independence Day celebration.
Red White and Blue Donut Hole Skewers
What you’ll need: 1 carton of donut holes • 1 package of strawberries • 2 packages of blackberries • skewers • chocolate sauce • coconut
1. Layer the blackberries, strawberries and donut holes on a skwer until it's full.
2. Place chocolate sauce and coconut each in a separate dish on the side for dipping.
Recipe and photo credit: ValSoCal
Star Spangled Cupcakes
What you’ll need: 1 package of baking cups • 1 box yellow cake mix • water, vegetable oil and eggs as called for in cake mix recipe • 2 cans of white cupcake icing • package of red and blue M&M's
1. Preheat oven to 350º F. Line your cupcake tin with your baking cups.
2. Bake the cake mix as directed on box for 24 cupcakes, then let your cupcakes cool completely. This should take about 30 minutes.
3. Once your cupcakes have cooled, frost them with your white cupcake icing.
4. Next, arrange nine blue M&M's in upper left area of cupcake, three rows of three, to create the "stars".
4. For the stripes, start at the top. Place three red M&m's in a row, four in the second row, seven in the third row and five for the bottom row. Make sure to leave space between your rows for the white icing to be the white stripes of the flag.
5. Decorate your remaining cupcakes.
Recipe and photo credit: Betty Crocker
Strawberry Blueberry Yogurt Pops
What you’ll need: vanilla yogurt • blueberries • strawberries • popsicle sticks • paper cups
1. Line a muffin tin with paper cups, then fill each cup with a little vanilla yogurt.
2. Add a layer of blueberries to each popsicle, then another layer of yogurt, then striced strawberries. Finish each popsicle off with a last layer of yogurt.
3. Stick a popsicle stick in the middle of your popsicle, then place your muffin tin in the freezer to freeze your pops overnight.
4. Unmold your popsicles from the paper cups by running a little warm water on the outside of the cup, and then you're ready to serve.
Recipe and photo credit: Lisa Longley
Patriotic Oreo Pops
What you'll need: white cholocate • Oreos • red, white and blue sprinkles • lollipop sticks
1. Melt your chocolate in the microwave, then put it in a warmer (if you have one) to keep it at the right consistency. If you don't have a warmer, make sure to stir regularly so it doesn't solidify again.
2. Remove one side of the oreo cookie and place a lollipop stick in the center of it. Put a drop or two of melted chocolate in the cookie, then place the other side of the oreo back on the cream. The melted chocolate will help bond the cookie back together.
3. Let the cookie pops sit for a few minutes to allow bond to be created. While you're doing this, pour your red, white and blue sprinkles out onto a plate.
4. Once your oreos are ready, dip them into the melted chocolate. Make sure you've covered both sides of the cookie, then tap your oreo-pop on the edge of the bowl to get rid of any excess chocolate.
5. Place one side of the Oreo pop in the plate of sprinkles, the set (sprinkle side up) on wax paper.
6. Let your pops set and cool for 20-30 minutes, and then eat up!
Recipe and photo credit: Camille Wellard
What are your favorite festive Fourth of July recipes?