Chocolate chip cookies
right, your fave sweet snack can be gluten-free—put on that apron and get to
What you'll need:
- 1 7/8 cups (260 g) all-purpose gluten-free flour
- 1 teaspoon xanthan gum
- 6 1/3 tablespoons (57 g) cornstarch
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 2/3 cup (133 g) granulated sugar
- 1/2 cup (109 g) packed light brown sugar
- 6 tablespoons (84 g) unsalted butter, at room temperature
- 5 tablespoons (60 g) vegetable shortening, melted and cooled
- 1 tablespoon pure vanilla extract
- 1 egg (60 g, out of shell) + 1 egg yolk at room temperature, beaten
- 1 cup (6 ounces) semi-sweet chocolate chips, tossed with 1 teaspoon cornstarch
1. Preheat your oven to 325°F. Line rimmed baking sheets with
unbleached parchment paper and set them aside.
2. In a large bowl, place the all purpose gluten free flour blend,
xanthan gum, cornstarch, salt, baking soda and granulated sugar.
Whisk to combine well.
Add the light brown sugar, and whisk once
again to combine, working out any lumps
in the brown sugar. Create a well in the center of the dryingredients, and add the butter, shortening, vanilla, egg and egg yolk, mixing to combine well after each
addition. The dough will be thick and soft. Add the chips tossed with cornstarch, and mix until evenly
distributed throughout the dough.
4.. Divide the dough into pieces of about 2 1/2 tablespoons each,
roll each tightly into a ball and then place about 2 inches apart on
the prepared baking sheets. Do not flatten the balls of dough.
5.Place the baking sheets in the refrigerator or freezer to chill until firm
(about 1 hour in the refrigerator, or 10 minutes in the freezer).
6. Once the dough has chilled, place in the center of the preheated oven
and bake for 12 minutes, or just until the balls of dough have melted and
spread and the cookies are set in the center. They will be very lightly brown
around the edges, and some may even be slightly wet toward the center.
Be careful not to over bake the cookies. Remove from the oven and allow
to cool for at least 10 minutes on the baking sheet or until firm.
Recipe source: glutenfreeonashoestring.com