5 ways to deal when you're feeling depressed
Depression is an awful thing to go through, and it can make you feel like there’s no one who understands you. While it can be tough to beat, it doesn’t have to be a constant state. And while feeling totally better may take some time, there are many little steps you can take to help yourself feel better. Check out a few good go-tos below...
Note: These may help whether you have clinical depression or are just feeling down!
1. Keep a list of your daily joys. As cheesy as it sounds, keeping a diary of something nice (or many something nice-s) that happens to you every day can help you feel more grateful, an emotion that combats depression.
2. Laugh. It can feel like nothing is funny when you're really down. But watching something that's guaranteed to make you giggle (like your favorite funny movie) or spending time with the people that crack you up can be a major booster.
3. Eat healthily. If you eat junk, you’re going to feel like junk, even if you're not in a down mood. While splurging on cupcakes, chocolate or chips may make you feel better in the short run, sticking to a semi-strict diet of yummy fruits and veggies (plus tons of lean protein) will make you feel more energetic and improve your sense of physical well-being.
4. Talk to somone who won't judge you. That can be whatever God you believe in, a counselor, or even just your journal. Talking to friends and fam in these cases is important, but if you feel you have things that you can't say to anyone you know directly, it's best to talk to someone impartial.
5. Start small. You don’t have to make crazy big changes right away, as it could be overwhelming—and you’re not as likely to stick to it. Just pick a tiny change to make each week, and your road to recovery will feel so much more achievable.
What makes you feel better when you're feeling down? Let us know in the comments below!