10 fun and healthy backyard party games
Nothing beats a backyard BBQ with friends and family. But you don’t just have to sit around and chow down on burgers. That’s why we’ve got last-minute ideas to really get the party started: fun games you can play every weekend this summer.
Kickin’ it old school: Games to play with your younger sibs/cousins:
Stuck on babysitting duty? These games are perfect for family gatherings or large picnics where there might be wide age-range of kiddies.
• Kickball: Separate the group into two teams (fairly, of course) and break out the kickball. Frisbees make good bases if you don’t have anything else.
• Four Square: A recess favorite, draw out or designate a course and see who can get the most creative with a kinds of rules or bounces.
• Flashlight Tag: Way fun after dusk—everything gets a little bit scarier!
• Kick the Can: In this souped-up version of hide–and-seek, hiders have to kick a soda can successfully before the seeker tags you to win.
• Three-legged races: Tie some legs together and race toward the finish line! We guarantee you’ll be out of breath by the time you get there.
Friendly competition with your crew:If you and your buds wanna perk up an end-of-the-year bash, try getting a coed game started.
• Ultimate Frisbee: Even if you don’t consider yourself a superstar athlete, this is one game you’ll love. Think soccer, only with a Frisbee. Score points by making a successful catch in the opposing team’s end zone.
• Volleyball: Find a net! Bonus points if it’s in the pool.
Games to play with your entire fam:
Games like crochet and bocce are fun after-dinner alternatives to games that involve a lot of running, but still incorporate some exercise. Plus, they’ll bring the entire family together–both can be played by up to eight people.
• Bocce Ball: Try hurling one of these bad boys for an hour—sore arms tomorrow morning!
• Crochet: Way more fun than it seems—hitting your sister’s ball as far out of play as possible just seems so right, doesn’t it?
• Badminton: Something about hitting those light and bouncy birdies over the net makes badminton so much fun to play.
Tell us, babes: What are your fave games to play at a barbecue with family and friends?