How to dye the perfect Easter egg--no kit required!
What you’ll need:
4 (or more) hard-boiled eggs (ask Mom for help)
4 hard plastic cups or dark mugs (that won’t get stained)
1 pack of food coloring
2 cups boiling water
4 tsp distilled white vinegar
Newspaper or wax paper
What you’ll do:
- Set out your four cups or mugs on top of newspaper or wax paper.
- Fill each cup with 1 tsp vinegar and 10-20 drops of food coloring (depending on how strong you want the color: refer to chart for ratios).
- Carefully fill each cup with ½ cup of boiling water.
- Using the large spoon, gently drop an egg into each cup, one at a time. Let sit for 5-10 minutes, rotating ever so often to make sure the dye is even.
- Using spoon, remove eggs from cups and let dry on wire rack or egg crate. Refrigerate when dry.
Use these ratios below to create your perfect color
Orange: 2 drops Red, 3 drops Yellow
Coral: 3 drops Red, 2 drops Yellow
Pink: 4 drops Red, 1 drop Blue
Turquoise blue: 4 drops Blue, 1 drop Green
Seafoam green: 3 drops Green, 1 drop Blue
Lime green: 3 drops Yellow, 1 drop Green