HOW TO: Battle Blemishes
Want to have flawless skin? Well, who doesn’t? Nobody’s skin is perfect—not even Heidi Klum’s! That's why GL’s got your guide to banishing bothersome blemishes for good! Read on to find out how to become an all-natural blemish-free beauty!
Blemishes can be caused by many different factors, like acne, dirt and grime, excess oils and more. Getting rid of blemishes is not an overnight process, but following a list of simple skin care do’s and don’ts will have you looking fresh and fabulous before you know it!
1. Develop a healthy skin care routine. This includes eating healthy and exercising. Simple things like staying away from junk food and greasy fries, believe it or not, can work wonders!
2. Wash your face in the AM and PM. Always remove all traces of makeup before bedtime. Sooo crucial!
3. Use sunscreen regularly. The sun may be your BFF, but be sure to use some SPF. Daily use is recommended because the sun can cause skin damage, like sunburns, and speed up premature aging. Don’t forget to reapply sunscreen every two to three hours.
4. Drink plenty of water to cleanse and remove impurities from within. Aim for 8 glasses of water a day to keep your skin hydrated.
5. Use products specifically designed to treat acne and your face. If your face is oily, use oil-free products. Oil-based products provide the perfect environment for blemishes to flourish and can also cause blocked pores. Also, why use scented products an add unnecessary artificial ingredients to your face, when you could use unscented. More is not always merry!
1. Apply alcohol-based products and DO avoid products with more than 2% benzoyl peroxide and salicylic acid. Even though these ingredients are key to fighting acne, too much will dry out your skin and can cause irritation and inflammation.
2. Use harsh scrubs to exfoliate and cleanse. It can actually damage skin and lead to more blemishes. Instead, try a gentle exfoliating scrub to remove dead skin and dirt that can clog your pores. We recommend once a week or more if needed.
3. Smear on oily hair products. If you have oily skin, it’s time to toss the hair spray and gel, which contain oils that can cause pimples on your forehead and face. But if you can’t live without your fave hair products, at least cover your face with a towel while spraying or wear a headband.
4. Stress out and skimp on sleep! Plenty of rest is not only great for your skin, but also for your body and mind.
5. Pop or pick your pimples. Fight the urge to pop your zits and your face will love you forever. Popping pimples can leave nasty scars and cause painful swelling. Eek! Remember to follow a hands-off approach! That means, stop touching your face, missy!
6. Heavily cake on makeup to hide blemishes. Makeup will only clog your pores with more impurities. Or, opt for mineral makeup. It's the latest craze and allows your skin to breathe properly.
Budget Savers: Best Blemish Products for Your Skin
Proactiv 3-Piece 30-Day Trial System, $20
Clinique Acne Solutions Clear Skin System Starter Kit, $33
Murad Acne Complex Introductory Regimen, $30
*All kits come in trial sizes so you can test them out before you break the bank!
BLOG ABOUT IT: Have a skin-saving product that you swear by? Know an awesome tip to fight pesky blemishes? Share the love, sistah!