How To: DIY the perfect topknot for Prom
By popular demand, we’ve put together a simple how-to for the adorbs wrapped bun that we uploaded to GL’s Instagram on #BunDayMonday (to follow GL on Instagram click HERE). Close cousin to the original sock bun, the wrapped bun looks effortlessly polished making it perfect for your big spring dance. It’s super easy for all you on-the-go gals and totally low-budget too! Who needs the salon?
What you’ll need:
1 bun shaper or sock bun (like this one: Lulu Bun Shaper, $5, nordstrom.com)
2 elastic ponytail holders
What you’ll do:
1. Gather your hair into a sleek ponytail by leaning your head back and letting your hair fall smoothly in place sans bumps. If you have a fine-tooth comb, you can use this to gently smooth out any ridges, too.
2. Tie your hair up into a high ponytail that sits at the crown of your head.
3. Next, place your bun shaper at the base of your ponytail by pulling your ponytail through the shaper’s center hole.
4. Instead of allowing your hair to fall backwards towards your head and around the bun shaper to get that donut shape (i.e. the classic sock bun), begin to wrap your pony tail around the shaper in one direction. Use your fingers to spread the hair around the bun as you go. Keep wrapping until all of your hair has been wrapped around the shaper and make sure that your bun shaper is completely covered by hair.
Tip: Don’t get frustrated if it looks a little messy—we’ll fix this in a sec.
5. To hold the hair around the bun shaper, use a second thin elastic to secure your hair at the base of the shaper—no need to double wrap the elastic, just pop it right on.
Tip: The elastic is virtually invisible when it’s thin and matches your hair color.
6. Using hair spray, lightly spray your bun and use your fingers to smooth any frizzies in the direction your hair has been wrapped. Secure stubborn fly-aways or loose ends with bobby pins. It’s a wrap!
Love this post? You’ll heart these too…
+ Want to get The Look? Sign up for our weekly newsletter with style secrets sent right to your inboxMAJOR PLUS! GL is now on Google+ and Glossi. Fab!