Nail painting hacks that will change your life
We love doing our own manicures—but it's easy to accidentally smudge the top coat, get polish all over our fingers or otherwise ruin our nails. Want some quick tips to the perfect paint job? We've got you covered.
1. Apply vaseline or petroleum jelly on the skin around your nails to keep them clean. It’ll stop excess polish from getting on your skin if you’re a messy painter. Plus, it makes for a super simple cleanup—just wipe away those mistakes.
2. Soak your nails in ice water after you paint them. As soon as you take them out of the water, they should be dry. The cold will also help to set your mani, keeping them chip-free a little longer.
3. Use tape for neat nail art. It’s a great way to get your lines perfectly straight, and it makes it way easier to get the nail art perfect on your nondominant hand.
4. Use a metallic sharpie as a nail art pen. It’s an easy way to get the precise designs you want, and chances are you likely have one lying around your house.
5. Roll your nail polish bottle instead of shaking it. Put the bottle between your palms and roll away to avoid the air bubbles that shaking can cause in your polish. Rolling will make for a much smoother mani when you’re applying your coats.
6. Get easy ombré with a makeup sponge. First, paint your nails the color you want on the bottom. Then blend the two colors you’re using on a paper plate, dip your sponge in the nail polish and press against the tips of your nails. Voila, there’s your artsy ombré mani.
7. Swipe some vinegar across your nails before you paint them. It helps to keep your polish in place and keep your paint job chipping longer.
8. Paint your nails with a white base coat to make your colors pop. If you have a polish that is sort of see-through, or just not that bright, try painting a white base coat underneath to really make your colors stand out.
What are your favorite nail painting hacks?