6 HOURS AGO How to rock runway hair IRL—see how this amazing teen athlete did it! http://t.co/mPo0TquIk9 #GLBeauty

7 HOURS AGO Sporty style goes chic! Tell us your fave outfit to win!: @OfficialNFLShop http://t.co/sJQuKtqiBw

8 HOURS AGO Does playing hard to get really work out? We have the scoop: http://t.co/aDqcgy19Dr

COMMENTS

4 things you can do right this second to get set for finals

Sure, finals might not be for a few weeks (or months!) yet, but that doesn’t mean you can’t start gearin’ up for an A now…

Modmodmodmod
Is there a term for a person who chooses the clothes for the photo shoots in magazines? And how would I become one if I chose to become one in the future?

Hey girlie,

You bet there is! It might vary depending on what magazine you work for, but generally that would be what a "stylist" does. To get experience, you should study a creative subject (some sort of design, textiles/fashion design, fashion merchandising, etc.) and definitely apply for internships in the fashion industry when you're old enough. You could work for a magazine, a fashion company, a photographer or even a store. Whatever you choose, it'll give you great experience!
Lauren C.

by awesomegrl on 7/5/2012 10:44:58 PM

So recently I've been thinking about persuing a career in fashion. I'm going into 9th grade, so a bunch of new electives open up for me. But the thing is, I don't want to be a designer, because in my opinion, im not very good at art. What are some other careers in fashion that aren't a designer or a model and what would be some good classes to take?
Thanks a bunch!

Hey girl!  Working at a magazine is a great way to get involved in fashion and there are lots of journalism classes for that!  If you want to see if you can improve your art skills and give designing a try, art classes in high school can help you do that.  There may not be classes for you to take just yet, but careers in publicity (getting news about clothes out to people who want to buy them) and advertising (like commercials and spreads in magazines) are also cool ways to work in fashion.  xoxo

Kate G.

by Awesomegrl on 7/2/2012 10:33:50 PM

My dad has been reminding me to go over math facts throughout the summer i realize that keeping up with your grade over the summer is important but he's really starting to get on my nerves. And we always end up arguing about it ! HELP ME!

hey! Maybe if he just sees you going over them every once in a while, or you set aside some time to do it, and tell him you're going to keep up with it at a certain time each week he won't keep pestering you. good luck!

Helen S.

by snagmonkey on 6/30/2012 2:01:27 PM

I just graduated from sixth grade so now I have to choose a high school/middle school to go to next year. Where I live I have two choices. One has this wilderness program that my parents are really excited about, but it has no art programs and art is my passion. The other school has art programs and all my friends are going to it but it would mean missing the once in a lifetime opportunity at the other school. What do I do?

hey! I think you should follow your heart and choose what you're interested in. The wilderness program sounds cool, but you should cultivate the things that engage you, and if that means art then I think you should go for it. good luck!

Helen S.

by Artgirl008 on 6/25/2012 6:34:53 PM

My finals are in 2 weeks and all my friends and classmates are totally putting it off, but I am not! I've already gotten 3 folders for each subject and I am filling it with tons of helpful notes, worksheets and tests ordered in units and I am adding even more sheets I found online. I also made flashcards for important science and english vocabulary and I typed all powerpoints we used for science. My weakness is math, so I am doing mental math and little practice tests every day and focusing on one lesson to practice at a time. Our exam is worth 30% of our overall mark and I need every single percentage to boost my grade!!

by lemontwist213 on 6/3/2012 5:07:24 PM

Finals? Piece of cake... Wait until you take an AP test...

by smileysevvie on 4/19/2012 8:42:17 PM

MOD Ok, so a few weeks ago i had my bday party and i invited my bff and 6 other of my good friends. I had really bad drama with one of bffs, Alethea. (we aren't friends anymore.) But, my True bff Abbie, ever since my bday she hasn't hardly talked to me. I say hi but she just looks at me. When I sit at her table she moves with her other friends. But before my bday I used to mostly hang out with Alethea and hardly talked to Abbie, I think those where major reasons why she hasn't talked to me. I am crushed, everyday I see her I cry because I feel alone without her and regret why I was friends with alethea when alethea was being two faced. I have plenty of friends but none of them had the bond me and Abbie had. please help! What should I do and Say? I miss Abbie so much I would give up anything for her to be my best friend agian. I have been not myself this week and everyone has noticed it in my class,friends, everyone because i've been quiet.Please help! What should I do and Say?

Hey girlie,

Talk to Abbie and tell her it's obvious she's mad at you, so you want to know what's wrong. If she answers you, try to work with her to figure this out. If she is giving you the silent treatment and not bothering to be honest, try to move on. I know it's tough, but if Abbie is mad at you because you're friends with other people, she is NOT worth your time. No one can tell you who you can/can't be friends with! Not even a bestie. If she cared about you, she would support one of your healthy and happy friendships with someone else <3
Lauren C.

by cupcake544 on 4/19/2012 8:15:29 PM

i am going to do state testing..... i am preparing by like... well doing my homework.

by amileofroses on 4/19/2012 7:49:05 PM

Next year, Imma just get one giant notebook for each different subject. Cuz my school is strict and we need to take a lot of notes in each class, I keep running out of notebooks and forgetting to buy new ones, so I write on looseleaf and end up losing the looseleaf...I'm so disorganized Foot Gonna start over fresh for the 8th grade in September and I promise myself that I will do better.

by ekatia217 on 4/19/2012 6:25:16 PM

Come join the club Great Music with Variety. We talk music, music, and more music. Share your faves!

by cupcake53 on 4/19/2012 4:59:56 PM

OMG thank you GL!!!

***--->Hey peeps! You know what? 1D ROCKS!! If you agree, come join my club ♥One Direction♥! We talk about those hotties all the time, so people with One Direction Infection should TOTALLY join! Hope to see ya there!<---***

by DaNcInGQu33N9812 on 4/18/2012 11:33:10 PM

MOD
My Spanish teacher whom we were close to and was one of my favorites passed away due to cancer last Saturday (the 7th) and saturday(the 14th) was her church memorial service. We were invited to go to her memorial service but I didn't go because it seemed like no one I knew was going and I couldn't deal with the truth and we were going to have a school memorial for her also. Now I regret not going and I feel guilty and its been haunting me for days that I didn't go. I'm thinking to myself, "How could I have been so selfish?" It's been on my mind all week and I just feel so sad. I want to cry but the tears won't come and it's an ongoing battle since no one else appears to have the same emotions as me and I feel like I shouldn't cry because she was my teacher,not a family member, then I feel bad for even thinking that. When we found out 2 months ago that she was dying of cancer I was sad and I cried but now its actually hitting me that she's gone. How can I overcome this?

Hey Girlie,

This is so very sad! Losing someone that you're close to is always painful. It doesn't have to be a family member for you to be upset and crying about your teacher is absolutely fine! But I think the most important part is that you don't have to feel guilty. Not at all! You are not a selfish person because you didn't go to her church memorial service. Everybody deals with loss and mourning differently! I think that your teacher sees how you feel about her and wherever she is now, she forgives you for not going to her funeral! Stop feeling guilty for any kind of thoughts you have! Stop comparing your emotions to the emotions of others! If you have to cry, then cry. If you don't feel like crying, that's okay also! It's so sad that she is gone but what you can do now to honor her is to think about her and always remember how much you liked her!
alicia m.

by Scorpio1027 on 4/18/2012 11:12:09 PM

Hey Girls! Join my club; WRITING, My Love <3
This club is for those girls who have a deep passion for the art of Writing. <3

by krazykotabug on 4/18/2012 10:22:26 PM

MODMODMOD
Hi im olivia. I have this guy who's sorta like my best guy friend
I really like him. I really wanna get to know him and eventually
Start to date. But the problem is, he's not the type of
Person that likes to have ACTUAL conversations with people.
When we talk, all we do is laugh and joke with each other.
I dont want to try to have a serious conversation with him
Because if he doesnt want to that'll be awkward and i dont wanna
End up ruining our friendship. Alot of people including some
Of his friends say he likes me. What do i do?!

Hi Olivia,

It sounds like the situation requires you to start a serious conversation because you like him too much to be only friends with him anyway! Why do you think one awkward situation would ruin your entire friendship? If it does, than he's not a good one, anyway! Sometimes you have to take risks to get what you want... Go for it, chica!
alicia m.

by olivia817 on 4/18/2012 10:17:27 PM

MOD MOD MOD MOD MOD MOD MOD!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
I really need help! My best friend, who was practically my sister, punched me in the nose as a prank and my nose started bleeding. It's really black and blue, too. All I wanted was an "I'm sorry". She didn't say that to me once. All she did was laugh and say how that was "the best prank ever." I don't know what to do. Should I not be her friend? Should I give her her 40th second chance? I haven't been able to think straight all week. I'm so confused, I thought she was my sister for life. Please, please help me.

Hey Chica,

Don't let anybody treat you like that! She did something really bad and punching you in the face is simply unacceptable. The fact that she didn't apologize makes it even worse! You should confront her and find out if she really thinks that this was the "best prank ever," or if she only said it because she didn't know what else to say. Sometimes when people make mistakes, they can't admit them because that would make it real! If she handled it poorly but is sorry for hurting you now, then you can forgive her and be friends again. If she thinks it's totally cool that she punched you, then it's time to find new friends!
alicia m.

by squizzcute on 4/18/2012 9:39:41 PM

MOD i am having trouble in math right now but i am also a grade level higher in math (AKA 7th grader taking 8th grade math)i was doing ok before but now were are doing algebra and i am almost failing my teacher, my mom and dad, my bgf who is in the same class all try t help me but they confuse me even more my parents didnt let me do show choir because of my math grade (the rest are fine) send i dont have anything to distract me from constantly thinking about my grades i literally feel like i am drowning and cant surface i dont know what to do

Hey girlie,

Instead of getting help from all those people, try going regularly to ONE of them - your teacher! Go after class and confess to your teacher that you really feel overwhelmed with how much you don't know. Start slow and at the beginning - see if you could go a couple times a week after school so your teacher can help you. Or ask if your teacher could recommend a good tutor, who could walk you through the material. You're going to constantly think about your grades if they're not where you want them to be, so try to focus on the problem and tackle it with the help of one trusted person - that way, you don't confuse yourself with tons of advice! <3

Lauren C.

by Payton K on 4/18/2012 8:34:48 PM

MODMOD
Ok, there's a huge party that everyone got invited to...except me and my friends. My friends include the shy girl, and two nice and really funny but kinda crazy guys. We kind of keep to ourselves most of the time. And when I say everyone got invited, I mean everyone! All the kids in our entire class except us four. The girl and I have a friendly history, but I dont really see why she would single me and my friends out like that. It's kind of depressing, I feel like she hates me. I don't get it.
Please answer!

Hey girlie,

I doubt she hates you! She might have a reason for not including you guys, but no matter what it is - I wouldn't let it bother me. The truth is, you have three really great friends there with you. You said that you keep to yourselves anyway, so I wouldn't be insulted by this! On the night of the party, plan a fun night for you and your friends. The most important thing are the ones you really care about - not the classmates that disappointed you <3
Lauren C.

by Echosong on 4/18/2012 8:05:39 PM

MOD MOD MOD I am 15 years old, 5'4, and overweight. My goal weight is (edited by mod) pounds, but do you think this would still be too big?

Hey girl,

This isn't a question we can answer here at GL - the only person who can tell you if you're overweight or at a "healthy" weight is your doctor! If you have any questions about weight, dieting, or changing your exercise routine, chat with a professional like your doctor or a nutritionist. They can help you figure out how to do this and the healthiest goal weight to try for! Smile And as always, don't forget what the REAL goal should be - getting healthy and treating your body better <3

Lauren C.

by msindependent on 4/18/2012 7:58:40 PM

MOD MOD MOD MOD
I am 15 years old and overweight. I am 5'4 and i think my goal weight is 130 pounds, but do you think that would still be too big?

Hey Chica,

130 pounds is absolutely normal! You can calculate your BMI here: http://www.nhlbisupport.com/bmi/! Just be active, eat healthy and love yourself!
alicia m.

by msindependent on 4/18/2012 7:54:13 PM

We don't really have many finals in middle school...except for math. Which I don't have to take since i exceeded on our state test (:

by biffo on 4/18/2012 7:51:46 PM

I love the study buddy idea

by transform2314 on 4/18/2012 6:23:43 PM

This will totally help me prepare for my end of seventh grade English exam! I know I'm not even graduating and am taking a final but our English teacher is really amazing while working the info into our brains so much that I feel like my head will explode!!!! I have like seventy pages of notes just on the parts of speech that include nouns, pronouns, adjectives, verbs, and adverbs and we still have two more to go!!!! At least my English teach is retiring next year! Though she is a REALLY amazing English teacher!! Smile yet Frown

by HungerGamesRox99 on 4/18/2012 6:06:20 PM

My finals are next week!!

by jackieluvz on 4/18/2012 6:00:18 PM

Very helpful! I'm going to use these tips! Smile

by future_artist on 4/18/2012 5:15:01 PM

I'm glad my finals aren't for a while! Smile

by genieinabottle on 4/18/2012 5:10:32 PM

my notes are always really disorganized! Tong sometimes i'll run out of room in one notebook so i'll start writing the notes in the other and i can't keep track of which notebook they're in!

by music_lvr on 4/18/2012 4:57:44 PM

MOD! Can you help me please?
Where I live, you must apply to high-schools, similar to how you apply to college. You are selected by your grades, state test scores and a few other criteria. I was recently accepted into arguably the best high school in the state. It even ranks #30 in the world! The only problem is that the school is 75% girls. The problem is that I'm a tomboy, and that means that I'm afraid I won't have many friends. I'm kind of awkward around girls. They can't seem to see through my baseball caps, and clothing I buy from the boy's department. Not that I care though. I have plenty of friends- all of them boys though. We have spitting contests, play football and hang out. But none of my friends will be going to my new school. I'm afraid that because the "guy population" there is so low, that I won't have many friends. And I want guys as friends. I wouldn't mind having one or two girl friends, but I want to hang out with guys! Any help on what I should do? Thanks!

Hey girl,

That's AMAZING you got into this school! Congrats! It's ok if you're not super girly or into the same things that most of your classmates will like - you're unique and you're own person, which is totally awesome. It's really important to remember your future when making decisions like this. Your high school will prepare you for college and, if you go to a great school, it'll really set you up to succeed. Personally, I'd probably take this amazing opportunity and go to the great high school. You'll still have all your guy friends to see after school/on the weekends! And if you get involved in activities you love at your new school, you'll bond with your classmates over your similar interests. You might not be friends with the girly girls, but I promise they won't ALL be girly girls - I'll bet there will be other girls there who are a LOT like you Smile
Lauren C.

by soccerbeagle98 on 4/18/2012 4:36:55 PM

The Agency
For all you Middle School chicas who need advice on boys, beauty, friends, or just some peeps to help you keep your cool during tough times. Along with the newest trends and gossip, you'll be hot stuff. Calling all Agents: Officer positions open

by ostar21 on 4/18/2012 4:34:51 PM

Go to Google and look up Tami Maloney Smile There's a lot of interactive quizzes, like Algebra exams, ect. It helps a LOT!

by sinkinginblack on 4/18/2012 4:14:00 PM