12 HOURS AGO Skip the scars and heal your skin: http://t.co/oZ1zJSC0Wc

15 HOURS AGO Sleeping with makeup on? Talk about a big beauty no-no: http://t.co/dS4jko36NM

16 HOURS AGO The easiest move for totally toned thighs: http://t.co/Anf69Zawxq

COMMENTS

5 sunscreen myths--busted!

Gotta-know info on your best summer beauty staple...

MOD MOD MOD MOD!! Plz answer ASAP!!!
So today I went to the beach for 3 and a half hours. I forgot sunscreen. I was boogie boarding the whole time. I come home, and all around my lower belly are small red dots. My friend had them too, and we stayed together the entire time. Was it marks that the sand left on my skin from being on a sandy boogie board? We were around a lot (a LOT) of seaweed. Does that have to do with it? There were bigger red bumps too. Plus, how long does it take for a sunburn to ware off? School starts in 6 days, soo.. Plz help!! Thanx!
I <3 GL!!!

Hey girl,

It could be hives or a heat rash, but you should ask a parent to look at the bumps asap to make sure you don't need to see a doctor! Sunburns can take a week or more to wear off, so try to wear sunscreen next time Smile

Meghan D.

by Jellybean101 on 8/10/2012 10:12:32 PM

MOD MOD MOD MOD MOD MOD MOD MOD MOD MOD MOD MOD MOD MOD MOD ,OK, so im really really tan how can i stop being so tan ???? thanks in advance!SmileSmileSmileSmileSmileSmileSmileSmileSmileSmileSmileSmileSmileSmile

Hey chica! Try wearing a stronger sunscreen.  It'll keep your skin from getting darker in the sun! xoxo

Kate G.

by TSfan#1 on 7/19/2012 11:06:53 AM

MODMODMOD
All of a sudden im getting dark circles under my eyes what causes them and how do i get rid of them?

Hey Girl!

Have you been missing sleep? When you don't sleep enough black circles can form. They can also be genetic-- does your mom have the same issue. Try rubbing a light concealer under your eyes to cover up the darkness.
simone s.

by donna1 on 7/10/2012 3:19:19 PM

MOD! This summer, my goal is to get fit and in shape so I can get ready to rock some cute outfits next school year and be in top shape for sport tryouts. So I want to make a summer fitness schedule that I will follow. I need to focus on my thighs and stomach. My first goal is to run a mile or two everyday because it's good for my heart. Any ideas for every day workouts aimed toward loosing weight in my thighs and stomach?? Thanks MOD!
P.S. I'm OK with time-consuming workouts.I'm also willing to stick with the schedule for the entire three months of summer. I REALLY want to be ready for high school! Thanks! Smile

Hey girl,

Check out our fitness page! We have tons of great workouts. You could also try taking yoga, pilates, dance lessons, etc so you won't get bored.

best of luck,

Simone s.
simone s.

by HappyFeet16 on 6/14/2012 9:02:52 AM

I have this condition called Atopic Dermatitis on my skin, and it is mostly on my legs. It is when you have like rashes that stay forever and they are all over, and then you get new rashes and old ones go away... I am really self-conscious about my legs to the point where I won't wear shorts to school. I have tried some medicine to help it, and it helps a little, but when I put sunscreen on it gets worse again. Yes, I have seen a dermatologist about it. Any tips for how to feel better about my legs?

Well babe, you've gotta love your bod no matter what. Everybody has something they don't like about themselves, so you have to learn to focus on the parts that you do like. If you wear shorts and don't make a big deal about it, chances are other people won't either. Pair shorts with your fave shirt, and focus on how gorge that shirt makes ya feel instead of on your legs.
Carrie R.

by mainbunny1 on 6/12/2012 3:43:10 PM

Mod mod mod
I went to a car wash today, and I got a really bad sunburn. I put sunscreen on, but a totally forgot to reapply. We don't have any Aloe, so what can I do to calm the burn?
Thanks!

Well i would suggest you get some aloe. Thats really the only thing thats going to help. Also i recently discovered that coating the burn with Noxzema is also really really helpful. It gets rid of all the red. Which is great right? Make sure to get the Original deep cleansing cream. Good luck! xoxo kerra

Kerra S.

by Graciegang on 6/9/2012 10:57:47 PM

MOD MOD MOD MOD MOD MOD!!!!
ok so i really wanna go to a camp and i'm not sure how to ask my mom without her saying no! What do i do?!? Thank you!!

Hey girl!

Think about some reasons why you really want to go to camp this summer. If you can reason logically and calmly with your mom, she's more likely to consider your request. Good luck!
Rachael A.

by smileyfaceincallie on 6/8/2012 2:32:22 AM

MODMODMOD
So, my mom won't let me wear mascara, eyeliner or foundation. The last time I spent the night @ my friends house, I put it on and I didn't poke my eye out(which is why she won't let me) or used too much. Even my dad said it looked great. When I asked her how she liked she said that she didn't. In fact, the only reason I can wear eyeshadow and lipstick, is because if my dad. Any good options to convince her otherwise? And possibly any tutorials so it's very unlikely I make her fear come true??

Hey girlie,

First off, the biggest "no-no" would be talking to your dad and trying to win him over. Mom WON'T like that - she'll feel like you went around her and ganged up on her, which is not the way to earn her trust. It's normal for parents to feel a little nervous when their "babies" are growing up, but try to understand where she's coming from. Be calm and don't have a tantrum - just ask her why she isn't into letting you wear more makeup. Is it because she doesn't want to pay for it? Is it because she wants you to wait until you're a few years older? Is she worried you'll overdo it? "Poking your eye out" isn't a great reason - you're old enough to use scissors and knives, so I'm pretty sure you could use foundation or eyeliner. That's an excuse she told you because she didn't want to get into the real reason. Try to sit down with her and maturely tell her that you really want to know where she's coming from - you want to work with her, because you're sure this isn't going to be the only thing you disagree on during your teen years. Work as a team and trust her - that's the best way to prove to her that you deserve it!

Lauren C.

by starrlite on 6/7/2012 5:47:36 PM

MODMODMOD
Okay so like I'm barely 5 feet I'm 13 and I'm 110 pounds right now. My weight changes. Constantly from 98 to 110. What the crap with that? My doctor says I'm not over weight or anything but why do I have jelly rolls. Frown my friends that r my height are like 80-110 and they are like sticks. They eat the same as me and everything so what the crap with that?! Also any advice on how to lose the jelly rolls in a fun way that has nothing to do with outside. (it's too hot plus bugs eat me.)
Thx n advance.

Hey! just so ya know, girls’ bodies change  a ton during the teen years and weight gain is normal and restricting your diet drastically won’t actually help you lose weight. That being said I'm gonna direct you to our fitness page for all our info on healthy living Smile http://www.girlslife.com/category/health-and-fitness.aspx

Helen S.

by Myself843520 on 6/4/2012 8:05:39 PM

Hey lollipop68, you sound fine to me. You're around the ideal weight for a girl your height. As long as you're comfortable in your skin and healthy you are good to go. A lot of women are insecure about their bodies so find things that you like about yourself. Hope this helps! Xoxo

MODMODMODMODMOD
(what does 'MOD' stand for again??)
So I'm 13 and a-half, about 5'8ish and I weigh about 151 pounds.. but the thing is, I'm not fat, i'm pretty skinny, but my legs are larger than most girls, and they're mostly muscle.. Is it normal then for my height and age to weigh that much? I get so insecure sometimes because girls that are perfectly skinny (and even skinnier than me) will be complaining about how fat they are, and I'll be right next to them, which doesn't help my situation about my weight insecurity.. So is it normal for me to weigh that much? Lynae P.

by lollipop68 on 6/2/2012 11:11:56 AM

MOD!
Lately i've been noticing i have a really hairy stomach...how do i make that hair go away? thanks

Hey girl,

If you shave or wax your legs, you could do the same to your stomach, or you could bleach the hair so it's less noticeable. It's not too big of a deal, though -- no one sees your stomach, and a lot of girls have hair there!

Meghan D.

by cheesesticks on 6/1/2012 6:17:50 PM

Mod Mod Mod Tomorrow is my second last day od school so I want to wear my new dress. Problem is it's strapless and it only ties around my neck. I don't have a strapless bra and it looks dumb with straps. I have to change in locker room for gym so I can't wear nothing. What do I do? Please Help! Thanks(:

Hey girlie,

Do you have any bras where the straps are detachable? I know my Forever 21 bra straps come right out, so you can make it strapless in a sec! You could also wear a cardigan over it - that way, you can wear a normal bra but you can't even tell because you can't see the straps Smile
Lauren C.

by 15hayhay on 5/31/2012 9:10:35 PM

MODMODMOD
I'm 12 years old, about 157cm ish and weigh about (edited by mod) pounds. I'm really scared since I have a kind of big stomach that's about 2-3cm bigger(as in more front or away from my bones) than my private part. I'm a little wide. Should I be worried?

Hey girlie,

As long as you try to get active each day and eat a healthy, well-balanced diet without too much junk/fast/processed foods, you shouldn't be worried at all! If you have any questions about weight or developing a healthy lifestyle, be sure to ask your doctor - he/she is a professional and the only person qualified to tell ya if you're at a healthy weight Smile
Lauren C.

by animallover126 on 5/31/2012 8:08:58 PM

why am i gaining so much weight? i'm almost 5'10 and last month i was around 125 and now im 133. It doesn't look like i'm gaining weight, in fact it looks like i've lost weight. What's going on?

Hey Girl,

Your height and weight are perfectly healthy. You are actually on the thin side. As you get into your teens, your body weight redistributes and it's weight fluctuation is normal. Just focus on eating healthy and feeling good.

xoxo
simone s.

by emilyb on 5/31/2012 4:24:32 PM

MOD
So me and my besties are going to just lay in the sun this weekend and try to tan..
Will we still tan if we apply sunscreen before we start??
Thanks so much(:

Hey Girl,

Always wear your sunscreen! Remember that even a slight tan is a sign of skin damage, so try to avoid tanning.

xo
simone s.

by mookie98 on 5/31/2012 4:23:06 PM

MOD
I have curly hair that's a little past my shoulders when dry. I definitely need a haircut and was planning on getting one. I want it long for back to school though. Do you have any tips to keep it healthy and help it grow. Also, any tips on how to lengthen/elongate curls? That would be a great article. Thanks!

Hey girl

Make sure to keep your hair well moisturized, comb the knots out while conditioner is in your hair and not after, avoid straightening or dying it, try to pull it back on especially windy days (the friction isn't good for your tips!), eat healthily, and take your vitamins! You can also check out our article on curly locks and the products that we love to keep 'em healthy (http://www.girlslife.com/post/2012/02/14/5-fab-hair-products-for--curly-girlies.aspx?cp=all). Good luck, and I'm sure you'll look awesome for the start of school!

Tess M.

by mzkz101 on 5/31/2012 11:54:45 AM

MOD, MOD, MOD!
Is it true that sunscreen can cause skin cancer?

Hey girl, sunscreen helps prevent against skin cancer. It doesn't cause skin cancer itself.

lauren r.

by 1092chocolatelover on 5/30/2012 8:14:45 PM

i'm sunburnt.
But i used sunscreen. the sun is just way too strong.

by Alykat18 on 5/30/2012 7:42:07 PM

Mod Mod Mod!!!
Is it true that spray on sunscreen is bad for your skin???

Hey girl!

Spray sunscreen does have a few negatives. Since it's hard to tell which areas of your skin you've thoroughly covered and which you haven't, it's easy to miss a spot. The bare skin can get burned. Also, if you do use a spray sunscreen, make sure to use it in a well-ventilated area so you don't breathe it in!
Rachael A.