10 HOURS AGO Sweater weather also happens to be smoothie weather. Snag our recipes for seasonal sips: http://t.co/s00kRlDnDq #pumpkinspiceeverything

10 HOURS AGO RT @PeytonList: Lots of great questions! Keep them coming on @girlslifemag Facebook! 😻�pic.twitter.com/iuIzoC1K4Q4Q

11 HOURS AGO The lovely @PeytonList is answering Qs on our FB wall *right now!* Head to http://t.co/7oz2xj5ydi to join in! #glpeyton #peytonlist

COMMENTS

Facebook for kids: Like it or leave it?

First, it was just for college students. Then, the parents joined in. Now, high schoolers are on what's probably the most successful social media platform of all...

I HATE facebook!

by ColosalMascara on 8/31/2012 3:14:51 PM

Well it is good and bad if it happens then you're invading your child's privacy but if doesn't then fb will keep getting worse.Fb should come up with a better way of keeping the site good in a different way.

by b2b4b6 on 7/23/2012 4:59:50 PM

no way on earth!! kids without cell phones need to communicate with other kids! how? via facebook! if my fb was linked to my mom's account, i'd save up and buy a cell phone instead even if it took years! my parents are always super busy and usually low on cash, so i dont go out with friends alot and they didn't get me a cell phone. i need facebook to talk to people!

by emroxlol on 7/17/2012 4:58:09 AM

..no

by beaner826 on 7/13/2012 3:46:32 PM

..even though kids lie about their age, children should not be able to be on fb.. there are so many bullies out there. and some kids are not emotionally ready for such socializing. 13 i believe is an approiate age.

by beaner826 on 7/13/2012 3:45:45 PM

i dont think that parents should really be able to approve of your friends, some times that would be okward like when you have to explain who that boy friending you is…...

by fmo877 on 7/2/2012 10:17:48 PM

People are going to find a way around the rules no matter what. Once our friends are on a site we all kind of want to be there and at least check it out.

And there are so many other sites 100's of times worse than facebook for seeing stuff, sometimes fb gets a bad name because its what most people know.

by luckykel on 6/26/2012 10:13:39 PM

Heck nooo!!!! Kate G.

by Firefox101 on 6/26/2012 2:02:38 AM

I would love for that to happen then I would be able to have Facebook!

by cuppycakes on 6/25/2012 9:12:42 PM

this wouldnt make a difference! people lie about their age just to get on fb now, kids definetly would do that so their parents couldn't see.

by melon11 on 6/23/2012 8:36:12 PM

I think that this is a sensible idea. It would be safer than regular Facebook and would keep kids that want a Facebook satisfied, while keeping parents happy with the safety of there kids.

by gilly4282000 on 6/20/2012 3:24:58 PM

I totally agree with ♥purplexing♥!

by ivystar8 on 6/12/2012 9:56:26 PM

NEVER IN MY LIFE! Good think I dont need to link my facebook with my parents... I need person space! But I do admit my whole family has a facebook and we are all friends. But having my parents choose what to do to my facebook? thats just too much!Tong

by Rainbows_rawr on 6/12/2012 1:42:24 PM

If anybody needs advice on anything, leave a comment on my profile and I'll get back to you ASAP. Thanks!Smile

by olivia192000 on 6/11/2012 10:09:31 AM

So this isnt really a big deal to some people but it is to me: my class had a swim party and we were playing truth or dare, a boy got a dare to kiss me and i let him out of peer pressure: that was my first kiss but i really dont want it to count, we are just friends, neither of us like each other its kind of a joke but does it count? I want my first kiss to be with someone i like...

Hey Girlie!

The REAL first kiss is unique because it comes from someone you have special feelings for. A quick kiss from 'just a friend' doesn't mean your true firsty won't be special!

simone s. Meghan D.

by coracat on 6/8/2012 11:12:26 PM

NEVER!!!!!

by glitterstars456 on 6/8/2012 6:08:26 PM

I don't think kids under 15 should be on Facebook. It bugs me that my brother made an account at 11. People friend random people and 'like random things. It just isn't good. I think way too many people don't realize that what they post online is out there forever and for the world to see. I did a report on how social media can affect jobs. It's astounding. Kids that have Facebook at 12 may not realize this and post stuff that may haunt them ten years later. Same with a lot of sites. THINK BEFORE YOU POST. I'm glad this wasn't around when I was in middle school.
I don't think the age limit would matter. My mom doesn't even have an account but she would creep on mine via my brother's. She would question me about stuff.
Personally I have stopped using Facebook all together because I don't care what people are doing. And if I do, I'll text them.
And I disagree with the article. It was college students, then high school, then parents, now middle school.

by behrendblues on 6/8/2012 2:26:51 AM

I want one soo bad if they do the linked thing then maybe my mom will say yes!

by kdpkdp on 6/7/2012 8:57:49 AM

ooh! what if the creators of facebook made a facebook designed for little kids that parent can control. i think that would be awesome

Smile

by XxUTookMahFonexX on 6/6/2012 5:16:35 PM

This is a fantastic ideaSmile

by XxUTookMahFonexX on 6/6/2012 4:40:07 PM

Oh, and for you who say you need "privacy" NOTHING on the internet is private. You have no idea who could hack into your facebook, and you're worried about your parents finding out?

Facebook isn't for private things anyway, it's for keeping in ouch with ppl

by spencer9800 on 6/6/2012 10:19:45 AM

I definetly think that it's up to the parents to make sure that the kid is mature enough, so yeah, I think that this is a great idea!

by spencer9800 on 6/6/2012 10:04:24 AM

I know a six year old with a FB

by nikki3445 on 6/6/2012 4:11:51 AM

Most people are under 13 and have a Facebook anyway. They just put the year on their birthday a different year so it makes it look like they are older!

by 15hayhay on 6/5/2012 10:43:30 PM

Facebook? Ugggg...people post ANYTHING! Ex. "omg I am on the couch" or " omg I'm eating a hotdog" or "omg I'm at the store"! Also cyberbulling. I don't have a facebook and I'm GLAD. I'm sorry if I sound annoying, but it's true. Someone I know came to school crying because of Facebook. Its a good to keep in touch, but not this way.

by Krisskatt on 6/5/2012 10:13:41 PM

Honestly, why are people complaining? I mean who cares if your parents are linked to your account? What do you have to hide? I only have like 14 friends on FB because I deleted everyone I honestly don't care about. I used to hve about 200 friends. And on FB i only go on it to chat with my friends. Come on girls, who cares? Its a social networking site, not your life. But if it is your "life" and you go on it 24/7 why can't your parents see?

by xoshanaxo on 6/5/2012 9:04:36 PM

I have a facebook, and I am 12, Most of my friends had facebooks before they turned 13 (I am the youngest of them...) and I don't see why people in like, 3rd grade should have them, really. Also, having a parent linked to your account? Couldn't they just look at your profile and see whats wrong? Anyways, thats just my opinion Smile

by LCV554 on 6/5/2012 8:59:04 PM

I think it would be a good idea to have some sort of child-parent link, nothing is stopping anyone from faking their birthdate, but people may use the link system and it would just be one more step to be safer.

by ThornedRose on 6/5/2012 8:36:34 PM

I have a Facebook and I'm 13. My parents trust me, but they look at all my posts and whatnot to make sure it's OK and stuff... I agree that if you're under 13 years old that it would be safer to have a tied account. I know a bunch of younger kids who post inappropriate stuff frequently, and I honestly think it would be better if they didn't have accounts at all because of that. But I think as long as the parents are fine with it that they should have an account, but tied.... That's just my opinion.

by MCLY1222<3 on 6/5/2012 7:48:17 PM

Hey eemmais, I just think he has a lot of female friends, so it's only normal he chats them up in class. And you say he communicates with them in a non flirty manner, so you have nothing to worry about. He defintely likes you. So make it clear that you're fond of him too. Hope this helps! Xoxo

hey so I like this guy... I think he likes me to. He talks about the most random things EVER, he smiles at me (it's pretty creepy actually lol) and he stares at me... But the problem is he talks to a lot of girls. Like in class he talks to a ton of girls (not like flirty it just seems kinda friendly) but its like I'm not there. Then outside of class he talks to me all of the time. What do you think he's doing? Lynae P.

by eemmais on 6/5/2012 7:48:13 PM

I think facebook gets unfairly blamed but I know what everyone is saying because its so easy to see inappropriate things like naked guys and other things. Its not nearly as bad as other sites like chatroulette, where while its a good idea, there are also a lot of strange things.
My parents, especially, my dad tries to watch so much of what I do but luckily my mom is more lenient.

by luckykel on 6/5/2012 7:29:02 PM

Definitely a good idea. Although, I don't think kids under 14 should be on Facebook anyway, but as long as parents are involved, then it's fine.

by photographynut2008 on 6/5/2012 5:55:52 PM

Okay I'm turning 13 in August and this is my opinion.

People should be able to have Facebook accounts if they are over 11. I think it's okay if they have one if they're younger but i think then it should be linked to their parents account. I think that people under 15 should not be able to go on dangerous or innapropriate applications. I don't want to see a naked man on my screen!

by Lioncub190 on 6/5/2012 5:37:47 PM

I use Facebook to keep in contact with my friends, since I don't like texting a million people all the time and I'm homeschooled, so I see most of my friends once a week, if that. I'm friends with my mom and a couple of my aunts, and I have probably ten more adults I'm friends with, so it's not like I go around posting stupid, immature, or disgusting crap. Plus, I'm 17, so that's a little young for me.

I think that middle school (11 or so) is the absolute minimum age kids should have a Facebook, and only if it's tied to a parent account. But, I think the links and parent's ability to monitor the kid's entire page should go away at 14. I also think there should be an option on the child's account to add the restrictions and parental links back on, should the child decide to be stupid on Facebook. That way, the parents can see everything if their kid gets in trouble. Online safety is one of the few places I would be really strict with my kids.

by rockinlishy on 6/5/2012 4:21:26 PM

I think this is an excellent idea.....linking the accounts that is because people under the age of 13 have them anyways and even though it gets on my nerves that their just gonna break the rules just to get what's popular.....this would not bug me in the least bit.

by Ckemp on 6/5/2012 2:16:11 PM

My opinion: (I'm twelve)
I do have a Facebook, and about 2 thirds of the people I know have one to. Really no matter what age restrictions a website has, people under 13 will make accounts.

I think the way it should work is, if your under thirteen you should be able to have a facebook, just not everything on Facebook.
Facebook would send their parents a verification email to check with them first. The Tweens would NOT have access to innapropriate pages or games. They would also not be able to put their address or phone number on their profile. Their parents would also have the option to restrict other things like cussing, or messaging.
That's my opinion.

by Whisperglow on 6/5/2012 12:57:51 PM

I have a facebook but it is really not that fun.

by litmarvel on 6/4/2012 11:52:52 PM

it's ok...but it's still dumb. Not all parents have a facebook and not all parents want a facebook. Kids younger than 13 really shouldn't be allowed on, what would they do? It would turn into a place of drama more than it already is sometimes. They should just keep it the way it is. There's really no way to keep younger kids off the site, even if they did the parents' approval thing, it wouldn't take long before kids decided to make account and have it be their "parent". There's not much you can do.

by rosehuber on 6/4/2012 10:31:05 PM

Why is everyone saying how bad FB is? I'm 14 and have had a facebook account since I was 12. Just add your close friends and make your profile private and nothing will happen to you! And NO I would hate to have an account linked to my parents. I'm not even friends with my mom on FB!

by kayla9 on 6/4/2012 10:29:41 PM

I was just talking to my friend tonight about this and she said she would rather not have a fb account if its tied to her parents account. I kind of agree with that. She has had one since she was 12 and her best friend since she was 11.

by luckykel on 6/4/2012 10:25:48 PM

MODMODMOD
My period this month has been out of whack. Ive had it for 5 yrs and its been relatively regular. It came a week late, and the first day was light and spotty, the second day regular, the third day super heavy, the fourth day regular, yesterday barley nothing and today I got some brownish "old" blood with a little bit of purple. Im worried im abnormal....it's light, but i still am bleeding a little. Im so scared. My grandma who is a nurse reassured me ill be fine, but im still scared...help!

Hey girl,

There's no reason to be scared!  It's very common for your flow to be out of sorts every now and then, after all, it's not going to be predictable and constant until several years into it.  If you're really worried, you can check in with a doc, but I'm sure your grandma was right.
Jordan S.

by futurewriter16 on 6/4/2012 10:19:12 PM

everyone just lies about their age anyway. besides facebook is starting to lose popularity. it's going to be out pretty soon. you know what a really good website is? pinterest it's a virtual pinboard it's so much fun  Helen S.

by opptop on 6/4/2012 8:50:17 PM

Personally, I think it would be great to consider lowering the age limit, but this is taking it a little bit too far. I'm only 12, and I've had a Facebook for a couple of years already. However, my mom knows my password, so she regularly gets on my account and monitors what I do.

by teamjacob0625 on 6/4/2012 7:42:24 PM

I think this is kind of pointless anyway. A lot of kids just lie about their age so they can get a Facebook. I'm 16, so that wouldn't apply to me, but if I was too young to have my own Facebook I would just go without one rather than have one that is linked to my parent's account.

by supersingershannon on 6/4/2012 7:38:31 PM

i honestly think thats a gud idea i had a fb be4 & got in HUGE trubble 4 it i liked it cuz i can talk 2 my friendz from my old school who dont have phonez GREAT IDEA!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

by krazykaratechick on 6/4/2012 7:35:09 PM

Facebook is great communication tool if u need to contact somebody and you don't have their phone #

by Icecreamluver on 6/4/2012 7:28:17 PM

having a fb in middle school is just stupid. have u BEEN to middle school? thats y there is an age limit but honestly, it should b raised to 14.

by soccerlover99 on 6/4/2012 7:18:20 PM

I think that linking to their parent's accounts wouldn't even work. There would probably be a way around it. It is a parents responsibility to decide what sites kids can go on. (I asked my mom to join GL!) I think if you are trustworthy enough to go on FB before your 13, go ahead.

by Glitterheart16 on 6/4/2012 7:10:21 PM

MOD MOD MOD!
I love my mom, but sometimes she is a little overbearing. When I grow up, I want to be an actress on Saturday Night Live or Broadway. I'm a straight A student- I have to be if I want to get into Yale drama school! Anyway, my schoolwork is fine where it is without any extra help. But my mom STILL wants more academic stuff from me. She almost got me to join an elite writing group at school except the school play got in the way so I didn't have to join, thank goodness! Next year, she wants me to take the SATs so I can go to this "learning camp" for gifted youth. I'm only twelve! I've tried telling her that I don't want to go to the camp, but she said that I should still take to test so we could see what I get on it- so much pressure on test scores! I don't want to be a doctor or a scientist or a mathemetician or a lawyer when I grow up! How can I get my mom to let me follow my heart and make my own decisions? I need your help!!!

Hey! The best you can do is tell her how you feel, and hope she understands. Sometimes parents make us do activities we don't want to, and sometimes we're glad later, sometimes we're not. If she does make you take the test, try to look on the bright side and have a positive attitude about it.

Helen S.

by princessrainbow17 on 6/4/2012 7:00:54 PM

I think that FB being open to TWEENS would be great (not kids under maybe 10). Although I disagree with their pages being linked to thier parents pages because we need to be trusted at least a little, some parents might not have facebook and I think what we do (by that age) we should be responible for. I think parents could have LITTLE control, like if you get grounded they could have access to change the password so can't get on while your grounded.

by sleigh30 on 6/4/2012 7:00:49 PM

I really don't think ANYONE would do that. The majority of kids under 13 already have Facebook accounts, and why would they want to give up a full account in exchange for one where their parents can see and have to approve everything?

by ♥purplexing♥ on 6/4/2012 6:56:12 PM

I have a fb and I love it! But I think its not right for kids to be on fb. I think it should stay at 13+. There is to much inaproiate adds/pages on there. Even I have trouble with those things because there is to many of the things around on fb like that. To avoid trouble, I say keep it the way it is.

by susper on 6/4/2012 6:48:28 PM

I wouldn't! I mean what if I was having a private conversation with one of my best friends? It's kinda an invasion of privacy.I'm 11 and I have a Twitter, but no Facebook because of to much drama, that and there's a lot more bad stuff on there too! (Not saying there isn't bad stuff on Twitter).

by bayleesaysrawr on 6/4/2012 6:46:55 PM

Keep it at 13. 'Nuff said. Smile

by unicornninja on 6/4/2012 6:46:24 PM

I understand the privacy issue, honestly, I do. Been there, felt that. But MANY kids (17 and younger) put stuff online that they don't realize the whole world can see. It's as simple as cut and paste. I've tested it on my friends, then showed them what someone who is a "friend" can do with your pics. I found a picture (embarassing if possible), copied it to my harddrive directly from their profile, and showed them everything I could do with it if I really wanted to. Of course, I later deleted these pics and promised never to do it again. And I won't, but those friends haven't forgotten what anyone who is a "friend" can do with just a few clicks and some know-how. If parents were connected to accounts, then not only could they tell their kids not to put that stuff up online, but kids might also think twice before putting certain things online. Just some food for thought.

by missnickib on 6/4/2012 6:34:51 PM

In one way, it's lame cuz what tween would want their Facebook page linked to their parents. Especially if their parents are really protective. Even I wouldn't want that. In another way, that's pretty cool cuz kids like me can make friends. I'm home schooled and with my parents I never leave my house. So sites like GL are cool cuz I can make friends. I'm gonna gete a FB page in a few months and since I was like 9 I wanted a FB account. It goes both ways. I think they should let tweens get a Facebook account. That's just my opinion Smile Helen S.

by Princess Keziyah on 6/4/2012 6:25:38 PM

I agree with Emilyp123... The world is so attached to electronics that it wouldn't kill you to live without Facebook. It's great and all, but kids under 13 having Facebook is seriously pushing it a little bit. You're under 13... Go call your friends and meet them at a park or something, don't gossip on Facebook.
Really, everyone should limit their electronic usage. It scares me to think about what the world will be like in 20 years.

by smileysevvie on 6/4/2012 6:23:28 PM

btw, i don't think many kids are going to actually link their accounts to their parents'.

by TiCaL0ve on 6/4/2012 6:21:03 PM

um, a little freedom plz! if having an FB account puts a kid and their parents through so much trouble like linked accounts, then there is no point of having one. i would just wait to b old enough to get fb (thirteen)because honestly, there are some things kids don't want their parents to see. Most parents tend to overreact when they see some stuff but us kids and teens don't think it's such a big deal.
To avoid this trouble, kids should wait until thirteen. i think that's a responsible age.

by TiCaL0ve on 6/4/2012 6:19:35 PM

I'm 13 and getting a Facebook; this is great because people sometimes forget what Facebook is MEANT for: reconnecting with friends! Maybe you have camp friends you haven't seen, stuff like that.

by MusicIsLove123 on 6/4/2012 6:17:14 PM

That's kinda cool I guess.

by Princess Keziyah on 6/4/2012 6:12:30 PM

This is a very controversial topic. I am now 15 and yes, I do have a facebook account. Do I believe that 11 and 12 year olds should have them though? Not really. It isn't my decision though so I would say let the parent decide. Do I believe that these so called "tween" accounts should be linked to parents accounts. NO. I say this because in these few years before teenagerhood all kids are very insecure about themselves, who they are around, and how people act. So by making these kids constantly guarded by their parents would just make their lives SO much more stressful. I believe that these years are for starting to branch off on your own and becoming your own person. Making mistakes is a bonus! You learn from them and get to have new experiences, good or bad. Thanks for listening!

by squidney59 on 6/4/2012 6:00:09 PM

I don't think that it matters for me. My mom probably would want to be my friend anyway.

by bass2001 on 6/4/2012 5:56:20 PM

Its one thing for kids but for tweens that's a little much. It will probably be a hassle to just add friends having to go through a process with your parents. We want to know we are trusted too. What are we won't learn anything without a trust. Give us a chance.

by bosborn on 6/4/2012 5:42:12 PM

Ew, no way. I got a Facebook when I was 11 and just lied about my age, that's what everyone would do to avoid the linked account. I don't think it's a big deal for "kids" to have a Facebook. I'm 14 now and I've never used Facebook irresponsibly. Come on guys, raising the age limit isn't going to change anything. If you don't want one, don't get one. Simple as that! Smile

by fireworks1071 on 6/4/2012 5:28:56 PM

Okay I think that's a stupid idea. Parents would have to approve friends??? Tell me one person you know whose parents know ALL of their kids' friends. Nobody! So a kid won't be allowed to be friends with their classmates if their parent doesn't approve it because they don't know them? Dude, if you're letting your kid have a facebook at all, you should at least trust them enough to have their own friends. Otherwise, don't let your kid have a facebook.

by erinthemaster on 6/4/2012 5:27:57 PM

Facebook should be kept for teens. Getting a Facebook on your 13th is one of the BEST things ever. It shows that you're resposible enough to keep away the creepers.

by dominae on 6/4/2012 5:26:52 PM

Parents should not be able to tell their kids who they can be friends with. Some of the kids that I know's parents are way overprotective and would deny 98% of the kids possible "friends".

by puffinlover99 on 6/4/2012 5:12:46 PM

OH MY GOD!!!
i cant beleive this. really? linking our accounts to our parents accounts?? WHAT? im moving going into 6th grade and my mom wont let me have one! ALL my other friends have one. MOM IM IN MIDDLE SCHOOL! she wont even let me have a youtube account. our parents might b in charge of us, but excuse me.. *cough* PRIVACY *cough* gosh!!
thx for reading my rant. ;) Helen S.

by red716 on 6/4/2012 4:55:51 PM

Okay middle schoolers shouuld not have a facebook. I am in middle school but I don't have one. So many fiights are always tied into facebook! :p I also don't agree with tweens accounts being hooked with their parents! I mean....PRIVACY?!?!?!?!?!

by BabyDahl13 on 6/4/2012 4:46:55 PM

I am moving into the 6th grade and I have a Facebook.But linking our parents to our FB accounts is just WAYY to much! I mean, some kids REALLYYY don't want to let their parents see who there dating.Or see them saying lovey dovey stuffs.Personly I think this is one big no.
#Privacy PLEASE!!!!

by big time rush on 6/4/2012 4:41:49 PM

I say yes all the way!! Facebook should even be outlawed for kids under the age of about 16. If you want to communicate, at least call the person. And as far as the idea of "humanity going extinct without electronics," that's a bunch of crap. Our WORLD and society today was founded by people with no electronics. I think people, especially teenagers, need to man up, step away from the computer, and gain some social skills for a change. It's beacuse of electronics that humanity might go extinct in the first place.Look to the past for answers, not the future. People only use facebook to brag about themselves and look cool in front of their "Friends" (e.g. people they don't even know). What is even a friend anymore? Because of facebook, that word has lost its entire meaning. And you want our future centering their own lives around it?? Excuse me, but I think the creators of Facebook need a reality check.

by Emilyp123 on 6/4/2012 4:34:47 PM

Facebook is good to keep in touch. But kids spend hours tipping messages to their friends who live around the block. Oh, and lets not forget the peer pressure and bullying. Personally, I don't think it's worth it for people of any age. Just talk on the phone or text!

by jster on 6/4/2012 4:32:35 PM

kids are on facebook anyway. At least this will add some samety for them

by hopelt_dancergirl on 6/4/2012 4:23:52 PM

Okay so me, my bestie, and my cuz are all going to Warped Tour together (on my birthday!!! Smile) and my friend told me she's gonna wear her gladiator sandals! I tried to talk her out of it, cuz its her first concert and she doesn't get that I really mean it that her feet are gonna get stepped on and she's gonna get pushed and stuff! I tried to get her to wear tennies, but she won't listen! What should I do??? I'm gonna be really ticked if I have to leave early just because her feet hurt!!! Also, what should I say to bands when I meet them! Last time I met Mayday parade it was really awkward and I didn't say much! Ooh, and I wanna give Derek (from Mayday Parade) a bracelet, how should I do it?? I'm sooo socially awkward! Tong Thanks MOD! <3

Hey girl!

Explain to your friend that you love her gladiators but you love her more! Tell her you don't want her toes to get stepped on or the flat sole of the sandals to become uncomfortable. As for meeting the bands, just tell them how much you love them! Or even better, tell them your fave song. They'll appreciate that you know specific songs. Just make the bracelet and when you meet him, just say "Hey, I love your band, so I made this for ya!" Don't forget to ask for a picture!
Rachael A.

by selgomez1997 on 6/4/2012 4:11:03 PM

I am 12 and i want a fb but my mom wont let me have 1. everyone i know has 1.and for the people saying if u dont have fb, txt, i dont have a cell either cant get 1 till x-mas i wish i could get fb but why would i want my parents to spy on me?????? anyways 8 yr olds dont need fb

by brbsbranum on 6/4/2012 4:08:15 PM

i have had a FB(Facebook) since i was 10, and am addicted to it, i luv fb. i personally think that having a fb as a kid is okay to have, but u have to be at least 8years since that is the age kids start to realize maturity in them. my parents r very protective over me, and fb is upgrading so what ever u like, any of your friends can see it, and if your parents wanted to they can click a couple buttons, and walla, anything u do on fb, they see Smile i say its a good idea! ~ from a 13 year old girl that cares about kids interacting through via Facebook

by angie333 on 6/4/2012 4:07:51 PM

I have been begging my mom for a facebook profile ever since I was in the fifth grade. But, if my mom asked me if I wanted to be pinned to her account, I would absolutely say no!! Because who wants their "mommy" to block your best guy friend because they have an "innapropriate" photo in their album? no one does!!

by lilblondie:) on 6/4/2012 4:06:54 PM

I don't want to have my parents looking at all my stuff and having to approve everything. A kid needs privacy from their parents when it comes to these things. I would rather wait till I'm 13 to have an account and make it private so only my friends could see my account.

by LovePeaceHope on 6/4/2012 4:06:29 PM

NO DEF NOT BECAUSE I AM SORRY BUT TODAY PEOPLE ARE TOO OBSESSED WITH FACEBOOK AND GETTING KIDS ON IT WILL CORRUPT THEM TOO SOON TOO FAST I HAVE TO GIVE IT A MAJOR THUMBS DOWN ON THAT ONE. HONESTLY KIDS DON'T NEED TO BE ON SITES LIKE THAT, AND TEENS BARELY SHOULD BE ON IT BECAUSE I SEE FACEBOOK ONLY CAUSES PROBLEMS WITH TEENS ESPECIALLY WITH ALL THE DRAMA AND WHO KNOWS WHAT ELSE GOES ON, ON FACEBOOK.THAT IS LIKE ONE OF THE NUMBER ONE REASONS I AM GLAD I DON'T HAVE ONE MYSELF.

by star53 on 6/4/2012 4:06:17 PM

Great idea! Facebook has really taken over society and I don't like it. My friend got really hurt from cyberbullying but she didn't ask for help until later. Im so gonna do this!

by Sprinklz28 on 6/4/2012 4:01:08 PM

I would do it if it was linked, but DEFINETILY NOT if it was parents approving your friends and applications

by mmo'g on 6/4/2012 3:56:33 PM

I think that that's a great idea, but I don't think many people would do it. I know lots of kids who just lie about their age to get an account on facebook. Instead Facebook should more strongly enforce the age limit before they try something new.

by ceahorse on 6/4/2012 3:37:49 PM

First of all, for all those saying old-fashioned talking is better, it's the 21st century. Do you still see us driving horses and buggies? No. We need to advance in technology or else theres a chance the human race could go extinct. [And there's a few even saying 'stay old-fashioned and at least text!' News flash: Texting ISNT old fashioned!]
Second of all, its not ALL unsafe. You can make it so only friends you accept can view your profile. Im so sick of all the dumb kids/teens making the rest of us look like fools.
And third, I dont go on facebook to 'talk' to my friends. I go on to keep in touch. There's a HUGE difference. If I wanted to just 'talk' Id go to their house.
Oh, and with the 'link back to parents' idea, it should be optional, so parents can decide if they want their child to be linked back to them and manage their account. Its not Facebook's responsibility to keep these 8yr olds safe. Its their parents.

by sinkinginblack on 6/4/2012 3:36:09 PM

I really don't know about this one.I don't have a facebook but some people are really responsible on it.Others not so much( you know who you are).Like others have said it depends on the parent and kid.I think everyone should have the option as others have said,but it might help a little with underage kids going on fb.FB has a lot of problems with that system(there are people in my friends 2nd or 3rd grade class who have fb accounts)but this will either help or make fb worse.It may stop cyberbullying but it may just stop it being so popular.Removing the age limit is kind of unthinkable.There is a little bit of inapropreit stuff on there and even though the age limit doesn't always work it makes it just a little better for the parents.Just 1 Q though why don't the parents just check the account?

by Rilu on 6/4/2012 3:33:32 PM

I think it's great, my lil' bro has no filter and my mom constantly has to take embarrassing or inappropriate stuff off of his page.

by arg5890 on 6/4/2012 3:33:14 PM

i don't have a facebook, but i also don't have much good to say about it. so many fights/arguments at my school start or are amplified on facebook and most of the middle schoolers and even some elementary schoolers (read: way under 13!) have accounts. sometimes i feel like i miss out on some things, not being online, but in the end it's just stupid stuff or stuff i can find somewhere else. i have a house and cell phone, i have email, heck, i have ears and a mouth and a physical form! talk to me via one of those methods or face to face.

*for those of you out there either too attached to or wanting to stop usage of facebook, read books like the future of us and awaken.

by the_last_ninja on 6/4/2012 3:22:00 PM

no, kids should have their own privacy when contacting thier friends, my mom would get my friends acounts and ask them about if i have a bf oor crush or somthing.

by iluvpiggles on 6/4/2012 3:16:11 PM

i say leave it. JUST TALK FACE TO FACE AND TEXT!!!!!! EASY ENOUGH!!!!!! lmbo

by charlotte12sky4 on 6/4/2012 3:12:05 PM

if i ever did that my mom would stalk me

by ilovebacon28 on 6/4/2012 3:01:17 PM

I agree with Shellstheturtle, facebook is ridiculous. People can post anything, which could cause cyberbullying and so much more! Plus, i see no point in it.

by ColosalMascara on 6/4/2012 2:57:29 PM

My parents and I strongly disapprove of Facebook. I mean it's not safe especially when you are "friends" with complete strangers! The age limit doesn't help anyways. A lot of kids just lie and say they are 13 when they are younger. People should just stick to talking to their friends face to face, or at least through talk and text. Maybe I'm just old fashioned.

by Shellstheturtle on 6/4/2012 2:50:30 PM

My parents don't even have facebook so that wouldn't work for me. Besides, if my parents had to approve everything that I do, I wouldn't want it.

by softballgurl37 on 6/4/2012 2:37:05 PM

I like the idea of it being linked to the parents accounts.

by tweety545 on 6/4/2012 2:23:18 PM

no my mum would just keep checking my page

by shana399 on 6/4/2012 2:18:34 PM

First of all, I understand that facebook is for 13+. It has some bad language and inappropriate things on it. The only reason I would want a facebook account is because all games and websites have specials if you like them on facebook, or if you sign in with facebook, blah blah blah.I REALLY want a pinterest accept you HAVE to log in with facebook (grr). However, I do not like the fact that you would have to be linked to your parents. Sure it's for safety, but aren't you embarassed by your parents enough?! I would be willing to be patient and wait a few more years. (I am 11)

by baileymoose on 6/4/2012 2:08:35 PM

A lot of the people I know who are on facebook and who are under 13 or were when they started just lied about their age. Most do it so they dont have to explain everything to their parents. I know some friends and their parents didnt care they lied about their age.

So when it comes to going places on the internet and certain sites teens and tweens don care about the age thing and they go where they want whether its age appropriate or not.

by luckykel on 6/4/2012 2:06:30 PM

Truthfully, I think that if you under the age of thirteen, it's rather useless. I'm 12 and all of my friends have a google+ account. I think that would be good and I am thinking of asking my mom for one.

by Silverroseart on 6/4/2012 1:52:07 PM

most tweens already have a facebook account, they just simply lie about their age. I don't think facebook is appropriate for children younger than 13, so I dont think this new development is a good idea. there are plenty of other ways for younger people to keep in touch with friends and family. facebook leads to cyber-bullying and many instances of dangerous peer pressure. This is NOT a good idea facebook!

by parischick2 on 6/4/2012 1:43:50 PM

I think kids under 13 should have a FB account to keep in touch with their family and friends over the summer while everyone's traveling, but seriously most kids under 13 probrably already have FB accounts. They probrably lie about their age. That's what my friends do.

by madyX0X0 on 6/4/2012 1:29:47 PM

I think that kid under 13 should be able to have Facebook so they can keep in touch with there cousins, Aunts, and Uncles and even with there friends over the summer!

by Beany1122 on 6/4/2012 1:23:13 PM

I think that removing the age limit is unnecessary. Kids don't need a Facebook account- they're kids! Although, really, I don't think anyone needs it. It seems to only cause problems for teenagers, and sometimes adults.

by Fly1213 on 6/4/2012 1:18:32 PM

I definitely don't think they should remove the age restriction, and I would be okay with a link to your parent's account, but I don't think your parents should approve your friends and applications. That seems a little nosy to me...

by rileytibbles on 6/4/2012 1:13:23 PM

i think middle schoolers and even high schoolers should have that option because all facebook is is just drama and parents would know so much more about there child then they would ever know in that was the case...all the conversations are just about fb and how drama this and that i say no and i am 14 so

by kellbell94301 on 6/4/2012 1:04:58 PM

i'm 13 and don't have a facebook. i want one but if it was tied to my mom's facebook then i think i would change my mind lol

by Alykat18 on 6/4/2012 1:02:51 PM

I think it definitely depends on the kid; I'm under 13 and I have a Facebook. But,I have rules and I'm smart enough not to start fights or add random people. Some kids are even younger than me and have Facebooks,but (some) of them are smart about it. It definitely depends on the kid and the parent.

by MadMaddie911 on 6/4/2012 1:01:19 PM