1 HOURS AGO Is your cereal causing you to have a bad day? http://t.co/qBXmfHfn4h

2 HOURS AGO Haute 'n' haunted #HalloweenNails: http://t.co/wibxKc4jOc

3 HOURS AGO #Unraveled by @GenniferAlbin is finally in stores! Still need to catch up? Read the first book in the series, #Crewel, on @wattpad for free!

COMMENTS

4 steps to a pool-perfect period

Your bestie is dyin’ to go to the pool, but that monthly nuisance just showed up to put a damper on your swimmin’ style. You’re thinkin’ of...

MODMODMODMODMOD!
I JUST got my 1st period like yesterday! And my mom says i can't wear tampons because she says that my internal organs have to be "matured, Is this true? And,Can yuo go completley in water without getting your period. Like i said, i just got it, So can you help me? I don't know anything.

Hey girlie,

You should totally read up on all things period so you get all the deets - check out our Periods, Period section! http://www.girlslife.com/category/periods-period.aspx As for wearing tampons, I've never heard of the internal organs thing, but mom probably just wants you to get used to having your period before you start testing out different supplies. No biggie! Take your time and learn all about your period before you make any decisions Smile Be open with mom and honest about all your feelings/questions. You can trust her, and you can also trust your doc to answer any questions truthfully. As for going in water - if you have your period, going in water won't stop it. You'll still leak, so don't skip the tampon! (http://www.girlslife.com/post/2008/07/30/005-period-advice.aspx)
Lauren C.

by dragone on 6/28/2012 7:25:37 PM

Mod mod mod--
1) When I get my period- I get blood clots. Not big ones, but like a quarter size. Is this normal??
2) I'm afraid to put a tampon in because of the clots so I DON'T go swimming during my period days. Is it ok if u put one in even if I have the clots?
Thanks.

Hey girlie,

This is TOTALLY normal! In fact, most girls get those clots during their periods, especially on the heaviest days. Tampons are just fine to use with them - they'll absorb your flow no matter what. Remember to adjust your tampon size depending on your flow (use a Super, Ultra, etc. on the heavier days) and to change them regularly, to avoid leaks. You could even use a pantyliner so you don't get caught by surprise Smile
Lauren C.

by Keeper77 on 6/28/2012 4:19:36 PM

MODMODMODMOD!!!!
im in a REALLY grumpy mood, it just started yesterday after we go back from iowa. Idk if it was my step-sister who got me into it, (i really dont like her) or if i might get my period soon. My step-sister hasnt really done anything to make me mad. It might be that im stuck doing all of her chores until I leave on vacation. She shouldnt be sick in 7-8 days except im leaving on the 3 so i can spend time with family alone. Im pretty moody today im in a crabby mood, and idk why, i dont wanna do anything cuz my ankle,neck,and lower back hurt plz help

Hey girlie!  Bad moods are the worst!  You feel bad for snapping at people, but you just can't stop! I don't blame you for not wanting to work and do chores when you're sore, but try and do one chore at a time with a little break (like painting your nails or reading a chapter of a book) between them. The little bit of "me" time will improve your mood and give your back, neck, and ankle a break.  Talk to your parents and let them know that you're feeling a little overwhelmed and a little sore, maybe they'll chip in a little bit to take some of the work off of you!  Feel better!  xoxo

Kate G.

by YayaYuiki on 6/28/2012 12:14:43 PM

Mod Mod Mod Recently, I got my period. I kept track of it (I got it June 14-19). My only concern is that its summer time and when you start out your periods are irregular. Plus, I go swimming every single day since I live near the beach and the pool (and belong to a club). Plus, I go to camp where swimming is REQUIRED! How do I be prepared??

Hey chica!  The only way to be prepared is to make sure you are keeping track of how your body feels and making sure you are doing frequent bathroom checks when you feel like your period might be coming.  It also might be a good idea to wear panty liners a few days before you "should" be getting your period (not in your bathing suit, though!).  Try changing into your bathing suit right before you go swimming and not taking a super long time to change out of it.  That way, you catch it early and you don't have to worry about staining your suit.  LAst of all, relax!  Your period is only a few days a month, so enjoy swimming the rest of the time!

xoxo

Kate G.

by MusicIsLove123 on 6/28/2012 9:41:16 AM

Don't freak out about wearing a tampon if you want to go in the pool, your period stops in the water. Test it out in a bath, I swear it works!

by Clover54088 on 6/28/2012 12:57:55 AM

Mod Mod Mod!!!
So, for the last few days, I have noticed that it hurts when I wipe sometimes. I decided to check it out today. When I looked, the skin was broke in a small area like I was scratched down there. It only hurts if I hit that spot when I wipe. Should I be concerned?

Hey babe, try being a li'l more gentle when ya wipe, and see if the pain goes away after a few more days. If it doesn't, talk to a doctor about it.
Carrie R.

by Crush2010 on 6/27/2012 4:58:39 PM

I have never used a tampon or a pad before, but I'm twelve, so I know I will get my period soon. I've heard that tampons can be more effective than pads. Is that true? Is one more comfortable and convinient than the other? Please respond ASAP.

Hey chicky, just because you're 12, it doesn't mean you're going to get your period soon. Some gals don't get it 'til they're 17, so there's no reason to stress about it. But just so you know for when you do get it, tampons are more convenient because they can be used with pads so that ya don't have to hit the bathroom quite as often. Both are uncomfortable at first, but you get used to them. Once you get your period, you can try them both out and see which works best for you.
Carrie R.

by Taylorbb77 on 6/27/2012 4:39:04 PM

modmodmodmodmod
by the way in my last comment i forgot to say ive been having a little bit of an acne flare up!

If you're worried that ya might get your period soon, you can try wearing a thin pad for a few days, just to be on the safe side. Then if there's no change in the color or amount of discharge you're having, save the pads, and don't worry about your period for a while.
Carrie R.

by WhiteStripe3 on 6/27/2012 4:36:32 PM

MODMODMOD im 11 and am turning 12 in october. i feel like i should already have gotten my period! ive had LOADS of discharge for over 2 years,and breasts for about the same amount of time. i get stomach pains alot too, and am irritated by all the waiting and just want to get it over with!! GRRRRR!!!
PS i believe ive had some REEEALLY light spotting. STILL IRITATED!!!!
PPS my body hair is blond all over because im a blond, but i noticed a bunch of black pubic hair and a few long black under arm hairs. i had alot of body hair before just blond.

Hey babe, most girls get their period between the ages of 11 and 14, so your bod may just not be there yet. Waiting can be rough, but trust me, the longer you go without having a period, the better. They always come at the most inconvenient times, and they're not exactly fun. So enjoy not having to deal with them yet, and don't stress.
Carrie R.

by WhiteStripe3 on 6/27/2012 4:30:48 PM

I just started a few days ago and all my friends wear tampons wat do i do

by loll989 on 6/27/2012 3:48:49 PM