MAKE IT CUTE
Pom-pom party pouf and garland
Finished size: Varies, depending on the size of paper lantern you use and how long you want to make your garland. The Party Poufs pictured have a diameter of about 12 inches; we used an 8-inch-diameter paper lantern as our base. The garlands are each about 7 yards long.
What you'll need...
1 8-inch-diameter paper lantern
100 to 125 plastic pom-poms such as Just Fluff
10 to 12 yards Hug Snug seam binding (½ in wide)
Hot glue gun and glue sticks
What you’ll do…
To make the pouf
1. Wrap the excess twist tie ends around the centers of the flat pom-poms, to get the ties out of the way. Do not remove the twist ties, because they hold the pom-poms together! Gently rub the layers of the pom-poms to separate and fluff out. This is a great step to do while you are watching a movie.
2. Carefully expand the paper lantern with the wire expander, following the manufacturer’s instructions.
3. Starting at the top opening of the lantern, use the glue gun to glue the pom-poms in place. Hold each pom-pom for a few seconds to make sure that the glue sets, but be careful not to press too hard, as the paper lantern is delicate. The key is to place the pom-poms very close together and work your way around the entire top opening. Continue to glue the pom-poms around the lantern, working from top to bottom, until the entire lantern is completely covered. At the bottom opening of the lantern, you can use glue or a twist tie to attach 1 pom-pom to the center of the wire expander.
4. Cut a length of the seam binding for hanging the Party Pouf. Figure out where you want to hang it and measure the distance between the ceiling and the top of your Party Pouf. Multiply that number by 2. For example if you want the Party Pouf to hang 18 inches from the ceiling, you will want to cut a 36-inch-long piece of seam binding. Fold the seam binding in half, slip the folded end through the top of the wire expander, then loop the loose ends of the seam binding through the folded end and pull tight. Knot the loose ends together. Glue one more pom-pom to the top of the wire expander to close the top opening.
5. Let the glue dry completely.
To make the garland
Glue pom-poms to the remaining seam binding, spacing them 6 to 12 inches apart. Let the glue dry completely.