Great ways to get active
30. Find something sporty you love. Not something your BFF
loves, your mom swears by or your bro is into. Keep trying workouts until one
clicks with Y-O-U.
31. In general, mixing two workouts is sort of brilliant.
Pilates + kickboxing? Yoga + boot camp? Yes, please. Get the scoop on piloxing here.
32. You shower daily, right? Make exercise that much of a
priority. Pencil it in to your daily list and make a point to check it off.
Dance your butt off on Friday, go for a long hike on Saturday, practice yoga on
>> 33. Jumping rope is super cheap, sooo good for you and has
tonsa possibilities for helping you shape up. You can jump normally, or use it
between sets of weights to increase the cardio component. Here are five ways to incorporate jumping rope into your workout.
34. Rut much? Not anymore. Work on alternating your exercise
as often as possible. Lots of girls get into the habit of playing one sport or
jogging all the time. Truth is, varying your exercise challenges your bod in
new ways. That means you’ll see results a lot faster.
35. A classic shake-it-up trick: Snag a die from an old
board game. Then, in your notebook come up with six possible workouts (like 30
minutes of jogging, a Pilates DVD, sprinting up a nearby hill, an hour-long
bike ride—whatever you like) and label them 1-6. Roll the die and do whatever
workout corresponds with the number it lands on. Change the list up once a
36. Celeb trainer Clay Burwell’s best advice? “Exercise five
days a week.” It might sound a li’l intimidating, but it’s true. Keep the
activities fun like a summer softball league or tai-kwon-do classes or
swimming. Switch up your workouts to keep it interesting and avoid
overtraining. Check out Clays's get-buff routine you can do anywhere.
37. Don’t get down on yourself if you miss a few days of a
workout. Get back on track this minute.
38. Create a fab fitness collage filled with inspiring athletes
and dancers and words that will get you moving. Hang it in a place you’ll see
often and glance at it whenever you’re having trouble sticking with your
39. You’re never too old to start a new hobby or sport. Sure, some girls have been
swimming or dancing since they were in diapers but lotsa people pick up sports
at all different ages. Ya never know…you may be a total all-star at the next
thing you start.
40. Get into the practice of slashing your stress daily. Whether you journal, dip
into a bath or simply read for fun, make a point of relaxing before you hit the
sack. It’s good to free your mind from clutter and staying calm and cool is key
for your long-term health.
41. Got a spare second? Grab a piece of blank paper and cut it into 30 smaller
pieces. Write your fave quotes on these pieces and then stick them in a jar.
For the next month, pick a quote out of the jar as soon as you wake up. Take in
the advice and live it if you can.
42. Sweetened beverages account for tonsa calories daily. It's not just soda,
either. Iced teas and sports drinks can be loaded with the white stuff.
43. That said, brewing your own tea is way healthy and yummy (plus, it's relaxing).
Fruity ones (like peach of pineapple) can have a hint of sweetness, without all
44. Most food we eat is salty enough, so drop the shaker. If your food needs more
flavor, try adding hot sauce, salsa or garlic. Yum!
45. While it’s not good to obsess over everything you eat, checking out the
nutrition labels from time to time can help put your snacks and meals into
46. Learn which fruits and veggies are in season when. It’ll keep you more in tune
with the earth. Plus, we love that citrus is at its best during winter. Just
what ya need on a dreary day.
47. Wanna crank your cardio? Add intervals (aka, when you go faster for a short
period of time). They challenge your body and take your workout to the next
48. Remember that working out is work. Even if you heart
your sport, it’s gonna be tough from time to time. Learn to love that.
49. Dynamic stretching is your friend. Warm up and then get
your muscles loose by doing some leg kicks. Learn more here.
50. Be active whenever you can: Take the stairs instead of
the elevator, ride your bike to your BFF’s house, swim instead of lounging by
51. “It’s a proven a fact there’s no such thing as spot
reducing,” Dr. Lavinia Rodriguez swears. What does work to whittle your middle
or slim thighs? Li’l changes to eat healthier foods and incorporate a variety
of exercises into your daily routine. Get the all-over toning scoop here.