MAKE IT CUTE
GL CRAFTS: General Plaid Regalia
Not to talk your ear off about all the old ladies I used to hang out with when I was a kid, but there was one in particular, Mrs. Copeland, the wife of a retired general who served in World War II. Mrs. Copeland always had dainty shoe clips gracing the toes of her shoes. They were very proper in pearls and rhinestones, swirling shapes, bows, and flowers. Shoe clips make your shoes eye-catching and help your outfit look pulled together. This particular shoe clip also makes me think of a general’s medal because of the starlike shape. Officially cute, I must say. --Sonya Nimri, Just For The Frill Of It
1. Cut eight pieces of silk with your pinking shears, each measuring 1 × 3 inches.
2. Pull some threads out from the ends of each piece to create ragged edges, then apply Fray Check to your ends.
3. Overlap four pieces in a star shape and sew a point in the middle to secure.
4. Cut the ribbon in half. Take one half and fold it into six loops, then sew to the middle of the silk star.
5. Sew a button to the center to cover all the intersections.
6. Hot-glue everything to a little scrap of felt or leather.
7. Hot-glue the felt or leather to the shoe clip.
8. Repeat steps 3–7 for the other shoe.
Make your star with scrap pieces of ribbon instead of silk, and glue an old rock concert pin to the center instead of a button
Like what you see? This FAB craft is one of many adorable pieces from Just For the Frill of It by Sonya Nimri. With pages and pages of smokin’ hot do-it-yourself looks, it’s the absolute must-have to hook up your spring wardrobe. The book is chock-full of inspirational pieces to spice up apparel from tanks and tees right on down to shoes and handbags. For more about Sonya and her crafts, check out sonyastyle.com.
Win It Now! GL’s giving five crafty spring chicks the opp to own a copy of Just For the Frill of It. Just shoot us an e-mail to email@example.com with “Crafty Chick” in the subject line for your chance to win by April 15th!