FAB UP YOUR LIFE
Quick DIY gift: Transform a tee into a cool purse
Having too many clothes can be a problem for a lot of girls out there, and it can be hard to figure out what to do with stuff you no longer wear. Thankfully, there’s always a way to save that special T-shirt, shrunken sweater or sentimental tank by turning it into a cute tote bag that’s perfect for gifting.
- Old t-shirt/top
- Sharp fabric scissors
- Sewing machine
- Straight pins
- Seam ripper
1. First things first – use your seam ripper to remove all tags
2. Turn shirt inside out, and use scissors to cut off sleeves, neckline and bottom hem. This will create a “U” shape and will give you a beginning point for your bag.
3. At this point, you have an almost-bag except the bottom is still open. Before sewing the bottom shut, decide on your final style before finishing it. You can use the scrap fabric to make fringe or large braids for decoration. Use pins to pin the decorative pieces in place.
4. Once you have created decoration and details you are happy with, make the straps. You can cut where the neckline used to be to make it deeper/maket the straps longer, or cut a specific shape.
5. Once all of the fine details have been smoothed out, its time to go to the sewing machine. Sew down all of the decorative pieces. Be careful not to sew the front and back of the bag together by accident!
6. Make sure the bag is inside out and pin the bottom closed. Sew across the hem, making sure to back-stitch to secure the seam.
7. Flip the bag inside out and do last minute touches or use fabric paint to add shapes and color. Let dry and wrap it up for your best babes!