and get our latest issue for FREE!click here
MAKE IT CUTE
Your Pop-Tarts just got a *major* makeover
For most of us growing up, we *loved* Pop-Tarts--pretty to look at and full of sugar basically makes them the breakfast of champs. And while popping 'em straight out of the box is delish, you can also whip up your own version of the perfect pastry that we think is even better. Just follow the recipe below and feel free to customize with your fave flavors.
- 1 package of pre-made (or homemade) pie dough
- 1 can strawberry pie filling
- 1/2 tsp cinnamon
- 1 egg
- 1 cup powdered sugar
- 1 tbsp milk
1. Preheat the oven to 375 degrees F and line two cookie sheets with parchment.
2. Roll out your pie dough very thinly into a rectangle shape. Tip: Putting flour on your counter first will keep it from sticking.
3. Cut your pie dough into small rectangles, all the same size. Lay half of the rectangles on your cookie sheets.
4. Beat the egg in a small bowl and then brush over the tops of the rectangles. Focus on the edges to help seal it.
5. In another bowl, combine strawberry pie filling and cinnamon. Place a dollop in the center of each rectangle on the cookie sheet and spread out, leaving space around the edges.
6. Put the remaining rectangles on top of the ones with filling. Gently press down the edges with a fork to create the crimped look.
7. Poke a few small holes in the top of each, then place in the oven to bake for 10 to 12 minutes. Remove and let cool.
8. While they're baking, mix the powdered sugar and milk together in a bowl. Feel free to add food coloring, too (this will be your icing).
9. Once the pastries are cooled, spread the icing on top and toss on a few sprinkles.
What is your favorite flavor of Pop-Tarts? Share below!
Recipe credit: Cravings of a Lunatic.