How to get the *perfect* beach waves for summer
Don't let the surfer girls fool you: Mastering the beach waves hairstyle isn't always easy. But DW, we're here to help you perfect those effortless curls with a step-by-step guide to sunny szn strands. And if using heat isn't your thing, we found some simple ways to get gorgeous waves *without* any hot tools. The possibilities are endless with a little bit of imagination (and our homemade texturizing salt spray, ofc).
With a curling iron
1. Start with completely dry, detangled hair. Spritz a heat protectant all over.
2. Split your hair into two sections. Twist anything above your ears into a high bun and secure it with a claw clip. The bottom section is ready to curl!
3. Grab your fave curling iron or wand (we like the Kristin Ess 1" Curling Iron, $60) and heat it up.
4. Hold your iron vertically to ensure the trendy, beach wave look you're going for. Pro tip: Since you're going for effortless, relaxed waves, make sure you curl each piece away from your face.
With a flat iron
1. Copy steps 1 and 2 from above.
2. Power on your flat iron (try the T3 Lucea, $170) and wait for it to fully heat up.
3. Hold your straightener horizontally and grab a section of hair no more than two inches wide.
4. Clamp the straightener and twist your wrist inward (toward your face) for a few seconds. Release and let the hair cool.
5. Repeat the process an inch down on your hair, this time turning your wrist outward (away from your face). Continue until you reach the end of your strand.
Psst: Need a visual example? We got you. Follow the tutorial below to ensure gorgeous waves in just a few minutes.
1. Make sure your hair is slightly damp and part it down the middle.
2. Divide your hair into two equal sections and make a tight braid on each side.
3. Spray your braids with our texturizing sea salt spray (peep the recipe below) and jump into bed. Undo your braids in the a.m. for mermaid waves.
Hint: This method is perfect for girlies with thicker hair.
1. Split your hair into four sections: two pieces in the front and two in the back.
2. Take the closed end of the sock and clip it to the root of your hair.
3. Twist a small piece of hair around the sock. Keep adding more hair each time you loop around.
4. Grab the open end of the sock and flip it inside-out, covering the entire twist.
5. Tuck in any loose ends and repeat for all other sections.
DIY Sea Salt Texturizing Spray
What you need:
An empty spray bottle
2 cups room temperature water
2 tsp coconut oil
3 tsp sea salt
How to make:
1. Mix your ingredients in a large measuring cup.
2. Pour the mixture into an empty spray bottle.
3. Spritz onto damp hair and scrunch the ends for a tousled, effortless look.
*Make sure to shake up your bottle before every use so the oil and water don't separate!
Tag us in your beach wave hairstyle pics on Insta @girlslifemag for a chance to get featured!
Looking for more hair inspo? Check out these related posts:
💇♀️ 14 beach-inspired hairstyles to rock this summer
💇♀️ How to color your hair without completely messing it up
💇♀️ Thinking of getting bangs? Here's all the hair inspo you need