The cutest sustainable swaps for your next Everything Shower

We've alllll heard of the TikTok-famous Everything Shower: that one night where you do your entire hour-long skin, hair and self-care routine. But with all the plastic bottles and disposable products, don't you think it's about time to step up your sustainability game?

Plastic bottles take over 450 years to break down, and even then, those microplastics still release pollutants and toxins into the Earth. With only 9% of these bottles *actually* being recycled, the other 91% end up in landfills.

These cute and eco-conscious products will help you achieve the ultimate clean girl aesthetic while also saving the planet (and money). Get ready to reduce your carbon footprint and have the ultimate sustainable Everything Shower...

Reusable makeup rounds

Reusable Bamboo Cleansing Rounds (14 count), $14

You can't start your shower without taking off your makeup. But before you reach for makeup wipes, we should probably warn you that most wipes contain fragrances, chemicals and alcohol that can dry out your skin. Dryness causes your skin to produce more oil which leads to clogged pores and major acne breakouts. Why not try reusable makeup rounds instead? They last years, are made of bamboo and are reusable plus super easy to wash (they even come with a convenient laundry bag). Not to mention that all you need is water to use them. 

Shampoo and conditioner bars

Shampoo & Conditioner Bar Sample Set, $25

Whether you wash your hair every night or once a week, you wanna keep it voluminous and shiny. But most shampoos and conditioners have chemicals that can damage your hair and make it greasy, such as parabens, formaldehyde, tons of different types of silicones and a bunch of other chemicals you can read about here. Not only that, but those plastic bottles *never* biodegrade!

Try switching to shampoo bars (like Flora Flora, $16,, which have botanical, chemical-free ingredients that aren't watered down like most liquid shampoos and conditioners. For $16 a bar, Flora Flora has a range of scents and options for different hair types. One bar can last up to four months and the packaging is totally biodegradable (and made of 75% recycled materials!).

Non-disposable razors

Safety Razor, $39

The longest part of the Everything Shower is definitely shaving. If you have a habit of cutting yourself or running out of plastic blades, you *need* to buy a metal safety razor. They're great for preventing nicks and getting a clean shave. And the best part? They last a lifetime! Two billion (billion with a B) razors end up in landfills every single year. Instead of buying a new one every few months, get one that will last! Did we mention that a refill of 10 blades is only $5? And if you want a cheaper alternative, get a Public Goods Bamboo Razor for $10.

Biodegradable loofa

Multi-Purpose Loofah Sponge Pack, $6

The last step of your shower is to exfoliate your skin with your trusty loofah. The only problem is plastic loofahs hold tons of bacteria, which can cause rashes and make your skin puffy from the irritation. They also send tons of microplastics into the ocean. No need to give up your fave shower product—instead, swap it out for an all-natural one! They're typically made of luffa gourds that can go through the dishwasher to kill all the bacteria on them (unlike plastic alternatives). They biodegrade, last months and are really inexpensive when it comes time to replace them.

Now you're officially ready to ace the Everything Shower (while still being super sustainable). Have more product recs? Let us know on Twitter @girlslifemag!

Want more shower and sustainability inspo? Check out these articles:
🚿 All hail the Everything Shower
🚿 We just created your perfect shower playlist
🚿 Sustainable swaps to make your life more eco-friendly

Slider image: @katlaiuppa
Top image: @darelisbonhouse


by Haley Kramer | 8/7/2023