MAKE IT CUTE
Make these pretzel bites for the perfect movie night snack
We all love getting our hands on a warm, baked soft pretzel—but those lucky moments have typically happened at carnivals, movie theaters, fairs or the mall. Not anymore! In less than 20 minutes of cook time, you can have a boatload of bite-sized soft pretzels for you and all of your friends to share at home; after all, just one batch yields 5-6 dozen pieces! Prep this easy recipe the next time you're hosting a get-together.
- 1 1/2 cups warm water
- 2 tablespoons light brown sugar
- 1 package active dry yeast (2 1/4 teaspoons)
- 3 ounces unsalted butter, melted
- 2 1/2 teaspoons kosher salt
- 4 1/2 to 5 cups all-purpose flour
- Vegetable oil
- 3 quarts water
- 1/2 cup baking soda (for boiling the pretzels)
- 1 whole egg, beaten with 1 tablespoon cold water
- Coarse sea salt
Want to make some irresistible cheese dipping sauce to go on the side? You'll need:
- 1/2 tablespoon unsalted butter
- 1/2 tablespoon all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup milk
- 8 ounces Cheddar cheese, grated
1. Combine the water, sugar, yeast and butter in the bowl of a stand mixer and mix with the dough hook until combined. Let sit for 5 minutes.
2. Add the salt and flour and mix on low speed until combined. Increase the speed to medium and continue kneading until the dough is smooth and begins to pull away from the side of the bowl, about 3 to 4 minutes. If the dough appears too wet, add additional flour, 1 tablespoon at a time. Remove the dough from the bowl, place on a flat surface and knead into a ball with your hands.
3. Oil a bowl with vegetable oil, add the dough and turn to coat with the oil. Cover with a clean towel or plastic wrap and place in a warm spot until the dough doubles in size, about 1 hour.
4. Preheat the oven to 425 degrees F.
5. Bring the 3 quarts of water to a boil in a small roasting pan over high heat and carefully add the baking soda.
6. Remove the dough from the bowl and place on a flat surface. Divide the dough into 8 equal pieces and roll each piece into a long rope measuring 22 inches. Cut the dough into one inch pieces to make the pretzel bites.
7. Boil the pretzel bites in the water solution in batches, about 15 bites at a time. Boil for 30 seconds. Remove with a large slotted spoon and place on a baking sheet that has been sprayed with cooking spray. Make sure they aren't touching. Brush the tops with the egg wash and season with salt.
8. Place into the oven and bake for 15 to 18 minutes until golden brown. Remove and let cool 5 minutes before eating. Serve with cheese sauce.
To make the cheese sauce: Melt the butter in a medium saucepan over medium heat. Add the flour and cook 1 minute. Whisk in the milk and cook until slightly thickened. Remove from heat and stir in the Cheddar cheese until smooth and all of the cheese is melted. Season with salt and pepper, to taste.
What do you like to eat when you're watching a movie at home? Let us know in the comments!
Recipe credit: Two Peas & Their Pod.