Your Bod

Bothered by a bump down there

"Down there" has been bothering me. I have a bump and I don't know why. Is this normal? It's been bothering me for about a month now.


Depending on what kind of bumps you have, it could be many different things, so the best way to be sure is to see a doctor. You can talk to your mom about it first, but if it’s making you uncomfortable you should probably get it checked out by a licensed professional. Don’t be embarrassed, lots of girls get bumps down there. Just make sure you have the answers to these questions when you see the doctor.


Is it painful?

Does the bump itch or burn at any time? If it’s a bubble or boil, it will probably be more painful than a mass under the skin, and it will probably be more uncomfortable the bigger it is.


Where is it?

This will be pretty obvious to you, but make sure it hasn’t moved or grown or multiplied. If it has, these are things you should let your doctor know about.


When did you first notice it?

Think back to the first time you saw it. What activities had you just been doing and what was going on in your life? These things may be important for the doctor to understand why is appeared.


Are you sexually active?

This will probably be the first question the doctor will ask you. Sexually active doesn’t just mean sex. Anything you’ve done with someone below the belt counts. So if you have done something, the bump could be an STI or a reaction you’ve had while being intimate. If you haven’t done anything, then at least the doctor can rule out those possibilities.


Don’t be shy about your body. It’s great that you’ve opened up to us at Girls' Life so other girls with similar problems can see that they’re not alone, but it’s also important to talk to your parents and doctor about it if you ever feel like something isn’t right.

We want to hear from you! Send us your weirdest body questions here (seriously, we'll answer anything!) and it just might get featured.


by Jillian Zacchia | 2/1/2016